2.07 ; sanity

As the night unfolded, the veil of darkness shrouded the activities beyond the confines of the farm, leaving the inhabitants unaware of the world outside. Within the sanctuary of Carl's room, a heavy atmosphere hung, permeated by Lori's unwavering grip on her son's hand.

Natalie, seeking solace, leaned against Rick, attempting to find respite in the comfort of his presence. The weight of the situation pressed heavily on her mind, rendering sleep elusive. 

To ease the tension, Rick began recounting a familiar story, one he had shared with them before, featuring Shane. 

The tale served as a poignant distraction, an attempt to lift their spirits and momentarily divert Natalie's deep concern for her brother. "Shane gets up and when he runs into Kingsley in the hallway" Explaining it Natalie leaned more on Rick trying to continue her slumber. "He looks out the window and says, 'Principle Kingsley your coupe's gone." 

Chuckling to himself while ducking his head. "Coupe, Like chicken coop" Continuing, Lori and Natalie both nodded understanding the joke like they did the first time hearing it. 

"I get it" Lori muttered holding onto her boy's hand. 

Rick nodded; "Of course you do." Rubbing Natalie's shoulder softly the girl had felt the most calm in a while since this whole situation had started. "You've both heard this story 1000 times, If you weren't so tired I would've gotten a laugh" He pointed towards Natalie. "What you said before, You're right. Shane's going to make it back to us with what the doctor needs he'll make it back.

"Carl's going to be okay" He reassured her. 

"Hershel said you needa eat." Holding on for a second turning with tear stains on her eyes still. "Please for me, you've got to keep your strength up." Natalie looked at her mom with her eyes semi-closed opening them more. 

As Lori shared her concerns about Carl's condition, Rick, mindful not to disturb Natalie, reached for a sandwich, attempting to find a semblance of normalcy amid the unfolding situation. Taking a thoughtful bite, he focused on the rhythmic cadence of Lori's voice.

Amid the room's palpable silence, Hershel entered, his presence accompanied by the subtle clinking of a medical kit. "We're going to start with something small until the men come back," Hershel declared with a nod, his hands deftly arranging the tools.

Natalie, sitting beside Rick, cast a worried glance towards her little brother. "He's strong, Nat. He'll pull through," Rick reassured her, his words a balm for both of them.

The blonde woman, sensing the need for support, approached, taking a seat next to Lori. "We're here for you, honey," she offered gently, her eyes conveying both empathy and a shared hope.

Lori, acknowledging the presence of the others, rose from the bed. "Thank you," she murmured, grateful for the unspoken solidarity in the room.

The atmosphere hung heavy with shared concern, the room now a tableau of intertwined lives, each person grappling with the uncertainty that the night had brought.

Air was hissing with Hershel checking his pressure one more time. The sounds of shuffling had gained Natalie's attention turning to see Glenn walk in with T-Dog, and Ethan by his side. "Hey." The man took off his hat lowering it in respect. 

"Glenn" Natalie shot up from the seat quietly wrapping her arms around his shoulders needing something familiar and understanding. 

Rubbing her back softly, "We're here for you all" He commented with Natalie letting go of him after a second turning back to her parents. Ethan watched her hug but his eyes turned to Carl who was inside of the bed.