1.11 ; world's lie

The reverberations of the unsettling news lingered, casting a palpable unease over the entire group. The weight of the reality that Cassie's father might not survive the perilous journey out of the city hung heavily in the air. Cassie, grappling with the harsh truth, sought solace within the confines of her tent, attempting to escape the haunting thoughts by succumbing to a nap. Natalie, understanding the gravity of the situation, made an earnest effort to console her, though the words seemed to dissipate in the heavy atmosphere.

Amid this emotional turbulence, Jim, with a resolute determination, occupied himself by finishing the task of hanging tin cans. Each clang of metal against metal echoed the need for sustenance in this post-apocalyptic setting. The camp, now a tableau of life teetering on the edge of uncertainty, buzzed with activity. Parents were engaged in the delicate balancing act of calming their children, attempting to create pockets of normalcy amid the chaos.

Lori, a stalwart figure amidst the emotional storm, took it upon herself to soothe the anxieties of the younger girls. Her nurturing instinct extended to the practicalities of survival as well, meticulously combing through Carl's hair to ensure he remained free from any potential threats, even in the harsh outdoors that they now called home.

The campsite became a microcosm of life in the face of adversity, where moments of introspection and caring gestures intermingled with the urgency of survival. Each individual, in their way, grappled with the uncertainty of the future, seeking comfort and a semblance of normalcy in a world that seemed increasingly defined by chaos.

"Baby, the more you fidget, the longer it takes." The woman sighed repositioning her son's head. "So don't, okay?"

Carl sighed looking at the dirt under his feet; "I'm trying."

"If you think this is bad, wait till you start shaving." Shane teased sitting and cleaning the barrel of his gun. "That day comes, you'll be wishing for one of your mama's haircuts."

Rolling his eyes at the comment. "I'll believe that when I see it." He complained. "Why doesn't Iris get her hair cut?" 

Walking back over to her family; she had sat near her mom keeping a distance away from her and Shane still annoyed about the gun thing that had happened earlier in the day. "'Cause I'm not getting lice." The dirty blonde-haired woman stated taking a bite from the mango in her hand. "You play in dirt, I don't." 

"Not true!" Carl tried to defend himself. 

"I'll tell you what... you just get through this with some manly dignity and tomorrow I'll teach you something special." Shane chuckled finishing his cleaning while tapping his foot a little. "I will teach you to catch frogs."

"I've caught a frog before." 

Natalie grinned into her mango; referring to the game he used to play with friends. "Leapfrog" Carl shushed her in the direction causing Lori to smile at the two of them. 

"I said frogs... plural." The man replied, a smirk decorating his mouth perfectly. As Natalie looked at him forgetting that she was even mad at him a little bit. "And it is an art, my friend. It is not to be taken lightly. There are ways and means. Few people know about it. I'm willing to share my secrets."

Carl looks at his mom for a second opinion but Lori shakes her head with a smile; turning his head back forward. "Oh, I'm a girl. You talk to him."

"It's a one-time offer, bud... not to be repeated." The man said looking between Carl and Lori. "And the lady can join us as well; show her how it's done" Shane continued to joke with them eyeing Natalie who bit the inside of her cheek with a smirk lying on her face nodding her head.