1.05 ; comfortability

As Natalie lowered her head, a hushed rustle accompanied her cautious entrance into the tent where her mother, Lori, immersed herself in a solemn endeavour. The air inside carried the weight of grief as Lori meticulously arranged frames adorned with poignant images of Rick, each picture resonating with shared memories and emotions. Natalie, endeavouring to veil remnants of earlier tears, navigated the small space with quiet determination.

Lori's audible sniffling became a poignant backdrop to the scene, underscoring the emotional depth of the task at hand. Turning away from the frames, Lori stood with hands placed resolutely on her hips, her figure a silhouette against the canvas of memories, as they both grappled with the ache of loss in the confined space of the tent.

"It's going to be hard, y'know," Lori declared, her eyes swiftly meeting Natalie's as they entered the tent. "Carl, this whole thing now."

Natalie stood in silence, absorbing the weight of her mother's words. Lori, abandoning any pretence, pleaded with her daughter, "You can't stay mad at me. I take back all of the words I have said to him. Please, work with me, Nat."

In the fragile silence that enveloped them, Natalie scrutinized her mother. The redness of Lori's eyes betrayed the emotional toll she had endured during moments of solitude. A moment lingered, where mother and daughter merely gazed at each other, exchanging unspoken sentiments.

"He's gone, isn't he?" Natalie finally voiced the heavy question, her arms crossing slightly as Lori fell silent, nodding with a small, pained frown.

Lori tenderly extended her arms, a silent invitation that Natalie readily accepted. The two embraced tightly, a shared moment of solace amidst the heavy weight of grief. Natalie's head found a resting place on her mother's shoulder, a tear tracing a silent path down her cheek. 

In the aftermath of Rick's departure, the hollowness of his absence reverberated through the air like a physical blow, resonating as a visceral punch to their hearts. Within the cocoon of their embrace, mother and daughter traversed the intricate landscape of sorrow and loss. An overwhelming surge of emotions gripped Natalie, an undercurrent of anger simmering within her, a potent reminder that the chance to see her father again had been irrevocably stolen.

As Lori delicately wiped away the tears that clung to her eyes, a silent plea for assistance lingered in her gaze as she looked into Natalie's eyes. "Just help me, please," she implored, a rueful chuckle escaping her lips.

The weight of the preceding days, inundated with unexpected events, cast a palpable heaviness in the air. Despite the gravity of the situation, Natalie found an unexpected bond in shared laughter, a respite she hadn't anticipated, especially in the wake of her graduation.

Kissing the crown of her daughter's head, Lori's lips brushed against the tangled strands of Natalie's hair. "I'm sorry for putting this on you when you're only nineteen."

"It's fine," Natalie responded, threading acceptance through her words. The realization pressed upon her that maturity wasn't an automatic byproduct of facing trials. Even with a myriad of experiences, being nineteen didn't inherently equip one to navigate the complexities of a world altered by unforeseen challenges.

Once again, Lori pressed a kiss onto the top of Natalie's head, gently moving aside her dirty blonde hair as she murmured into it. "You're being so brave," she stated, nodding with respect. "You get it from your dad." Another chuckle escaped Lori's lips as she affectionately patted the side of Natalie's face. Natalie, though silent, smiled at the comparison, acknowledging her father's legacy of bravery that had always been evident.

Natalie received the necessities from Lori, acknowledging the harsh reality that a proper shower was a luxury far removed from their current conditions. Inside the tent, she changed amidst the muted ambience, with Lori venturing out to the communal fire, leaving Natalie to acquaint herself with the new faces around.

As she shed her shirt, the chilly air prompted her to arch her back involuntarily. A breath on her neck sent a shiver through her, and Ethan hushed her with a muttered "Sh-" Ethan's words, acknowledging her assumed demise, were met with a silent acquiescence, as the apocalyptic world left her with little else to anticipate or anyone familiar to turn to.

His hand traversed upward, cupping her clothed breast, prompting a subdued moan. Uncertain about continuing, fear of the unknown kept her rooted in a situation she wasn't entirely comfortable with. "Lor-" The intrusion of Shane's voice at the entrance of the tent jolted her. Hastily donning her shirt, Natalie found herself caught in the tangled fabric, hanging loosely on her hips, paired with low-rise sweatpants.

"Shane," she cautioned, wary of the unfolding situation.

"During this situation," Shane retorted with a near-laugh, seizing Ethan by the arm. Observing the black eye, he admonished Ethan, warning him against acting on emotions, a lesson crucial in these dire circumstances. Ethan, breaking free from Shane's grasp, stumbled out into the night, the unspoken gratitude lingering.

With her fingertips resting on the corners of her bare hips, Natalie confronted Shane, challenging his interruption. "Did you want to interrupt that?" she demanded, crossing her arms, and waiting for an answer.

"It's been my lifelong goal," Shane sarcastically quipped, raising his eyebrows and smirking, amused by the scene. "Who thought you were so desperate that you had to go for the guy who can't keep his hands off of you." His words, a backhanded compliment, left Natalie at a loss for words.

The ensuing silence was thick with tension as they locked eyes. Shane, with a glint in his eyes, eventually pulled away, expressing a self-imposed duty to protect Natalie, Carl, and Lori. Her eyes, tinged with uncertainty, met his.

"Don't waste what might be your final days being a slut; you're a fucking child," Shane snapped back, hand on his hips, before turning away and exiting the tent, leaving Natalie bewildered and shamed.

As the weight of Shane's cutting words settled in, an overwhelming tide of sorrow enveloped Natalie. Tears, heavy with the emotional burden of recent events, traced a path down her cheeks. The culmination of the past days' trials and Shane's harsh judgment proved too much for her resilient facade. She yielded to the surge of emotions, collapsing onto the tent floor. The dirt beneath her held no significance; all that mattered was finding a semblance of comfort and solace.

Caught in the tumult of emotions, Natalie grappled with the dichotomy of her age – just nineteen, thrust into a world of chaos without a roadmap on how to navigate or seek help.

The tent's entrance flapped open, signalling Lori's return. The sight of her daughter huddled on the ground in tears, spurred an immediate and instinctive response. Lori, without a moment's hesitation, knelt beside Natalie. Encircling her in a firm embrace, Lori provided a sanctuary for Natalie to seek refuge. The tent became a cocoon of solace, as Natalie let her tears flow freely against the backdrop of an unsettling and disorienting world.

                                         jules' talk ♱ ; I want their relationship to be something since it is just her and her mother left

                                         jules' talk ♱ ; I want their relationship to be something since it is just her and her mother left. But i've written 5 chapters and im in love with their relationship that is still growing trust me. 

xx.