1.20; point blank bullet

Dale crouched down beside Natalie, his weathered face etched with concern as he handed her a bottle of water. She declined, noting, "Dale, that's my fifth water—don't waste the group's water on me." Natalie's voice was heavy with humidity, sweat glistening on her forehead. She ducked down, handing him the nearly empty water can.

"Maybe one beer every celebration, yeah," Dale wisely suggested, his eyes surveying the surroundings. He held a shotgun in his hand, preparing to go on a sight watch with Shane and Rick. "You think we should go to the C.D.C?"

"No one cares what I think, do they?" A wry smirk played on Natalie's lips, a memory of Shane walking away from her during a similar conversation flashing through her mind.

Dale shook his head, locking eyes with her. "That is not true," he spoke softly. "Your words are just as important as Rick's or hell, even Daryl's... Now, what do you think?"

"Everyone should trust their guts," Natalie declared, looking up and speaking her truth. "We're all listening to everyone else, but what ourselves are saying... Andrea is the only one who did it when her gut told her not to leave her sister's side, knowing that she was going to turn into a walker. Someone like Daryl was going to put her out of her misery, and she listened."

Natalie watched as the elder man absorbed every word, taking it in. "Even though Fort Bedding is not in our reach, the C.D.C. is closer to the storm."

"Agreed. You should speak out more," Dale encouraged, a small smile forming on his lips as he extended the water can towards her once more. "And drink more before I return." The young woman smiled, shaking her head as she listened to him, throwing her head back and finishing the water inside the can.

Dale took a moment to stand up from the log, his eyes catching the necklace around Natalie's neck. He noticed that Shane hadn't worn his '22 necklace today. Rumours had circulated, but Dale had only heard them when Jim was in a sun haze, unsure if they were true.

Carl had walked over joining Natalie as Dale walked away doing a double take in her direction. "You're not going to drown yourself with that water." Her brother had joked towards her and she was shocked this joke was coming from someone his age. 

"Not yet, wait until Dale's gone" Her eyebrows raised playfully. Carl had laughed joining next to her and playing with one of the tin cans that were on the logs. 

As the two of them were sitting with each other. It was obvious that Carl was watching the girl from his side eye. One that he had done because of their dad. "Hey, Cassie is safe now, Don't worry about her." Knowing this was the reason why Carl was checking in on her. 

"She is?" A hum came out of Natalie's mouth ruffling the hair of Carl as the body cringed away. 

𓇻

The woods were alive with rustling leaves as Rick and Shane patrolled the area, their eyes scanning for any signs of walkers. Shane, agitated and frustrated, began venting his concerns about their next move.

"Tell you what, man, these people, they're not convinced. You know? You head to the C.D.C., you might be on your own. You gotta consider whether you want to put Nat, Lori, and Carl in that kind of spot," Shane ranted, the tension between them palpable in the cool air.

Rick turned around, holding his shotgun and wiping his mouth. "I got to do what's best for my family."

"Best for your family? What's that? Exposing them to all kinds of risks?" Shane scoffed, shaking his head, circling Rick like a predator closing in on its prey.