Chapter 12

They were awfully quiet for the rest of the night, lost in their own thoughts, thinking of that something that was obviously growing within the both of them. During the dinner, they would only speak when asked. But whenever they stole glances each other a smile completely filled both on their faces.

Camila couldn't help it. She felt giddy towards Lauren most special now that she's beside Lauren that love of her life Lalo. Every time their bodies would touch, she felt sparks flying off. She just prayed that she wouldn't be too transparent, because they'll both get teased. Her own family was present, too, as they have always been friends with the Jaureguis. And her sister could read her too well so she was making the extra effort to hide her smiles. Obviously, she failed, because taylor cleared her throat in the middle of the busy banter. Everybody looked expectantly at what Taylor had to say. She naughtily smiled and said,

"Uhm... I saw rats earlier. Huge rats... playing."

"Huh? where? when did we have rats?! Remind me about it tomorrow, I'll call pest control," the birthday celebrator said.

"On my room mom. And don't worry about it. They don't seem to be pester anyone, they are just too PDA" Taylor's eyebrows raising up and down. The matriarch caught on to what her daughter was saying and grinned from ear to ear.

"Well, then, let Minnie and other Minnie have fun. So that will have Stuart Little" clara said, looking at them then winking at Lauren. To say that she was shy was an understatement.

Camila thought taylor didn't see them hugging, as she immediately pushed Lauren away when she felt her sister approaching. Clearly, she thought wrong. And now everyone at the dinner table was staring at her with playful smiles. She felt her cheeks heating up, the warmth radiating to her neck. And just as fast as the moment turned awkward, another person broke the ice and the busy banter resumed again as if nothing happened.

And thank god, because she didn't know what to say had they continued putting her in the hot seat. She took a gulp of her water then willed herself to relax. And then she felt Lauren's hand finding hers under the table and giving it a little squeeze, as if telling her that she was there and that she would not let her take the hot seat alone. She smiled and squeezed back.

*****

"So What was that?" Chris asked

"What? Was? " Lauren asked.

They were in the porch at their old backyard, having drinks to cap off the night. catching up on each other's lives.

"Between you and camila" his brother answered, taking a swig of his beer. she gave Chris a look then thought hard. And he downed her bottle, feeling a headache coming.

What are we? He honestly didn't know how to answer that. "Now that I remember, you owe me," veering off topic.

"I owe you?" Chris asked, now opening a new bottle for him.

"you told me 'Dude, pink roses. They always work.' Well guess what? she didn't like it, i was so ashamed"

"Oh really?" as chris scratching his neck

"Ahhh, that's Dinah's favorite and they're bestfriends i thought they both like it...My bad," he explained, giving him a sheepish smile.

"Dinah's favorite. huh?" he said. Now it was her turn to give her brother a sheepish smile.

"and why do you even know?"

"you are becoming taylor haha" chris said while laughing uncomfortably.

"Maybe you're the one who is keeping something" he fished further.

"Nothing. I have nothing to dish. But you, big girl, are changing the subject. tell me the truth. Are you dating Camila?"