Handshakes - Ch. 24

"I was thinking." Evan said casually, as he  got up from his seat after Math class was over, throwing his backpack on his back.

The three of them, Felix, Evan and Charlie had Math class together, which wasn't as common, since they only shared 3 out of 6 classes.

Felix got up, his backpack already on, and pulled his stick, facing where Evan was.

"Is that a new thing? Speak out, lil' guy." Charlie scoffed, playfully.

"Rude, but either way," Evan sighed. "Maybe you guys could come to my house, you could meet my family." He told both Felix and Charlie.

Meeting Evan's family was something that made Felix nervous, as, even if they're not official yet, it feels awfully menacing.

"Sounds fine, after classes today?" Charlie asked, cheerfully.

"I don't see why not!" Evan agreed. "Felix?" He asked, due to the not-really-unusual quietness of him.

In his mind, Felix was processing the implications and all of that, which turned him into a statue longer than he would've liked to.

"Alright, i can go." Felix said, not so cheerful as his friends.

"Great, we can walk together there then." Evan said, happily.

What a pleasure...

Felix couldn't say he was excited, more like, terrified.

- - • • • - -

"I don't normally go this far into the street." Felix mentioned, a pessimistic tone in his voice.

"Calm down, it's nothing special." Evan reassured.

"Yeah, but still."

"Chill Fee, you're not walking into your execution." Charlie said, playfully.

"Don't call me Fee." He rejected the nickname. "And it sure feels like it."

It was just an extra street from Felix's house to get to Evan's, which made it convenient.

Felix already called his dad to tell him, he agreed, since he goes to Charlie's house a lot, it would be weird if he didn't let him go to Evan's.

"We're here." Evan announced while Felix got back to reality.

"I should've brought my sunglasses, i feel as if i'm gonna need to make eye contact." Felix noted.

"Oh, i can explain it quickly to them if you want." Evan said, reassuring.

Evan used his keys to open the door, which caused Felix to swallow by instinct.

"I'm sure your family is great." Charlie said, as a kind of compliment.

Evan hummed in response, as he finished struggling with the key, and finally opened the door.

"You may enter." Evan offered. "My house is your house, well, at least my parent's." He chuckled.

Both of them stepped into the house, making sure to not mess anything up.

"No obstacles north." Charlie whispered to Felix.

"Right."

"Hi mom, I'm home." Evan said out loud.

Felix heard a few metal pots being moved, and water flow, allegedly from someone washing the dishes. A familiar smell of food being cooked filled the ambiance, which brought him back to the time where his mom made them dinner.

The house was far from as silent as his, you could hear the TV in the background, and what seemed like a little girl playing on an iPad.

"Ev, you brought friends over?! About time!" The little girl threw her device on the couch and walked towards Felix.

"I'm June! Are you Evan's friends?" The little girl who introduced herself as June asked, as she motioned to salute Felix by the hand.

"Yes, you could say we're his best friends." Felix said, smiling.

Charlie intervened, stretching June's hand instead.

"Nice to meet you June!" Charlie said, enthusiastic.

"He's Felix, and she's Charlotte, Felix, June, June, Felix, Charlie, June, June Charlie." Evan rambled on with the introductions.

"Good, i'll get mom then!" June said just before sprinting out to the kitchen.

"You said you have 2 sisters, this is the younger one, so..." Felix asked, curious.

"Oh, I'd have introduced you to Valery but she's out for college in Utah." Evan explained.

"Evan Avery Ford! You should've told us you brought guests." An older lady walked out of the kitchen, a welcoming tone, but a bit harsh towards Evan.

Felix couldn't help but think 'Evan Avery?', she had to pull out the government name?

"Sorry, i thought it was fine."

"You always need to ask beforehand." The lady, who was presumably Evan's mom

"Sorry for the late welcome, i'm Evan's mom, you can call me Alina." Evan's mom also motioned to salute Felix by the hand, it was becoming an issue.

"Don't worry, we're Evan's friends, nice to meet you ma'am." Charlie answered, saluting her.

"He's Felix Parks, and she's Charlotte Rogers, we've been friends since the year started." Evan elaborated.

Felix smiled kindly, while he held his stick behind his back.

"Why don't you answer a handshake?" June asked, behind her mother.

"Oh? Oh right." He said unnecessarily apologetic. "Sorry for the misunderstanding, i'm blind." Felix said through an uncomfortable chortle, as he pointed his walking stick.

"You could've said it before! I'm the one who should be sorry, my dear!" Evan's mom apologized.

"I'm used to it, ma'am, no problem."

"Well, Chuck should be back home from work in a while, so make yourselves at home, Evan's friends are always welcome." Alina offered, welcoming them to the house.

"Thanks, Ms. Ford!" Charlie thanked, respectfully.

"You can call me Alina, as i said." Evan's mom, reiterated.

"She can't stop using formalities, it's normal." Felix remarked on her behavior.

"Well, i'll be in the kitchen, June, behave with our guests."

"Sure." June said, as she sat back on the couch.

"Everything alright? You look a bit pale." Evan asked, concerned.

"More than usual? Don't worry, it's nervousness." Felix explained.