43. Rehash

The following day I spent the majority of my time packing up my stuff in boxes and apartment hunting online. I had a week to move out, but I knew time would fly and I didn't want to risk being expelled because I couldn't find a new apartment in time.

That afternoon, as I scrolled through a popular apartments listing website I received a text message from Theodore, inviting me over that evening. I waited twenty minutes so I wouldn't look too eager - or desperate - before I responded, agreeing to be there at seven.

I was anxious as I waited for nightfall, and when it was finally time for me to head over I did so hastily. I was nervous; I had no idea what to expect from this visit. I hadn't heard from Theodore in four days and I didn't know what to expect.

I was still on edge when Theodore answered the door; he looked as handsome as ever. He seemed to be in better spirits since the last time I saw him, inviting me in with a smile.

"Welcome," he said as I entered the apartment.

"Hi," I said, unsure of what to say. Notably, he hadn't kissed me yet. I was too nervous to make the first move myself.

"How have you been?" he asked as he headed for the kitchen. I followed him. He started looking through the fridge as if he were going to start making something.

"I'm...fine, I guess," I said, standing on the opposite side of the small space. "It's been a crazy week. What about you?"

"About the same," he said, setting a few things on the counter.

"What have you been up to this week?" I asked.

"Oh, dealing with the university," he said with a long exhale.

"How did that go?"

Theodore looked at me. "Well, after the administrators pried through very personal details of my life they asked me very sternly to resign."

"I'm sorry," I said, feeling guilty.

"There's nothing to apologize for," he said. "It really isn't so bad. None of this will be on my record."

"That's good," I said, leaning against the counter. "What are you going to do?"

"Job hunt," he said with a shrug. "I'll find another university job soon enough."

"You'll have to move away."

"You know, I was thinking about that. I don't think that's so bad, either. This way we both get a fresh start. I assume you wouldn't want to stick around your old college town after you graduate, anyway."

"I hadn't thought of it like that," I said. I was relieved that he still saw a future with me, and that he was optimistic about it. "But, I have to tell you, I won't graduate until December."

"Why?" he asked. "Because of me?"

"No, they were just going to have me redo Chemistry over the summer," I told him. "But..." I had trouble admitting to my delinquency out loud. I worry about what Theodore would think of me.

He looked at me curiously.

"I got in an altercation with Marcy on campus," I confessed. "I slapped her and got suspended. I can't return to campus until the fall."

"You hit Marcy? Why?"

I blushed, not wanting to admit how petty the whole situation was. "Well, I spoke to her first. But, she started running her mouth and I just..." I crossed my arms over my chest.

"What did she say?"

"All sorts of gems. How she reported us, how I ruined your life, all that good stuff. Then she started calling me a slut and I hit her."

Theodore walked over and placed his hands on my elbows. "I'm sorry she said that to you."

"I'm sorry I hit her," I said. "I really screwed myself over. I'm being evicted from my apartment and everything. I have a week to find somewhere else to live."

"Stay here," Theodore said. "Even if I get a new job, I can stay through the summer. That will give you time to find somewhere else to stay while you finish out your last semester."

"Really?" I asked, relieved he didn't seem to think of me any differently, even assaulting someone.

"Of course," he said. "I wouldn't want it any other way."

"Thank you," I said as he took me into his arms.

"Everything will work out, Indy, I promise."

"I'm not looking forward to spending a semester apart," I said.

"I know," he said, releasing me. "But, it's only a small portion of our future together."

"We'll live?" I asked, smiling.

"Exactly," he said.

"You know, I was worried you didn't want me anymore," I said. "I hadn't heard from you all week."

"I just needed some time to sort things out. I didn't want to see you without regaining my confidence. I needed to get a hold of the situation."

"I understand. Still, it was difficult not hearing from you."

"I'm sorry," Theodore said. "I'll be better about communication from here on out."

"Especially if we're going to have to be long distance for a while."

"True," he replied. "At least that stint will be less than half a year."

"What I would do to have your optimism," I said.

"Keep your chin up," Theodore smiled. "Everything will work out for us in the end, I know it."