30. Clues

After my run-in with Marcy I steered clear of Theodore's office for a while. I had work most days anyway, and when I was free I was usually at Theodore's apartment.

It was a few weeks later while I was working a shift at the bookstore when Theodore came in - just because I couldn't visit him at work didn't mean he couldn't visit me.

"Hey, look, it's your boyfriend," Huey said when Theodore walked in the front door.

I froze and didn't say a word. Surely he wasn't being serious.

"I helped him the last couple of times he came in. It's your turn," he said.

So, he was kidding after all.

I quietly exhaled in relief. "You don't think that maybe he wants to look at books alone every once in a while?" I asked.

"You're a bad employee," Huey teased.

"Whatever," I said, rolling my eyes. I could live with being a bad employee for a moment. I didn't want to interact with Theodore too much because I didn't want it to become obvious to Huey just how much I enjoyed his company.

Eventually, Theodore came up to the counter with a book in hand. Huey purposefully hung back, forcing me to check him out.

"Hi," I said, trying not to grin like an idiot.

"Hi," he replied with a warm smile.

"Did you find everything you needed?" I asked, taking the book from him so I could check him out.

"I did, thank you."

"Good, I'm glad to hear it."

I checked Theodore out quickly and handed back his book after he swiped his card. I tried not to stare, but he was so handsome, it was difficult.

"Thank you," he said, taking his book back.

"Thanks for coming in," I said with a polite smile. He smiled in return and left.

"Thanks for nothing," I said, punching Huey in the arm. He was standing back, pretending to organize books while I was helping Theodore.

"He looks at you funny," Huey said.

"What?" I asked, taken aback by the remark.

"Professor Callahan. When he looks at you he gets this specific look on his face."

"Stop messing with me," I said, trying to play it off.

"I'm not," Huey insisted. "I swear, I'm not crazy, either. You didn't see it?"

"No," I said, crossing my arms and leaning against the counter.

Huey looked at me for a moment. Then his eyes went wide.

"What?" I asked, knowing I probably wouldn't like what he was going to say next.

"Indy," he said slowly. "Don't tell me...your secret boyfriend...it's not him, is it?"

"What? No!" I exclaimed. "He's a teacher!"

"Yeah, which would explain why you've been refusing to discuss it."

"Huey! I'm not— this is ridiculous!"

"Is it, Indy? Is it really?"

"I'm not dating my professor," I insisted.

"Indy," Huey said. "You dog."

"I'm not—"

"Yes, you are. It's written all over your face. You're guilty!"

I stared at Huey incredulously.

"You're going to get him in trouble, you know that, right?"

"I'm not going to get him in trouble," I said.

"So, you are seeing him."

"Shut up, Huey."

"I knew it!" he exclaimed. "Indy, I'm shocked. I never expected you to do something so...bad."

"Leave me alone."

"How long have you been seeing him?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"But I do," Huey said. "Does Maria know?"

"No, of course not! No one knows, including you."

"How long have you been seeing him?" he asked again.

"I don't know," I shrugged. "Maybe since October. Something like that."

"Indy!" He looked like he wanted to laugh at me.

"You can't tell anyone," I told him. "Seriously, no one knows."

"Not for long. Not if he keeps looking at you like that."

"I'll let him know," I blushed.

"Wow," Huey said, leaning against the counter next to me. "Who are you? You used to be such a good girl. Messing around with a teacher."

"Stop saying that out loud," I demanded.

"Fine. But just know that I'm thinking about it."

"You're not going to tell anyone, are you?"

"Hell no," Huey said. "Anyway, who do I have to tell?"

I gave Huey a long look before relaxing my shoulders. I believed him. "Thanks."

"I'm surprised Maria doesn't know."

"Yeah, well, we're still not talking."

"I know, but you've been seeing him since the fall. You hadn't told her before?"

"She knew I had a boyfriend, but I didn't give her any details."

"I don't think she would've ratted you out, no matter what happens between you two."

"It's not something I have to worry about now," I said.

"You know, I was talking to her the other day."

"I don't really care to hear about this," I said flatly.

"If you insist."

Huey and I stood in silence for a while.

"Wow," he said aloud. "Professor Callahan."

"Shut up!"

"I'm sorry! He just doesn't strike me as someone who would sleep with a student."

"It's not like that," I said.

"Is it not?"

I gave Huey an annoyed look. "Not entirely."

Huey laughed out loud. I punched him in the arm again.

"I'm sorry! I can't help it!" he said.

"It's more serious than just that," I said. "We really care about each other."

"How serious is it?"

"Very."

"Well, I'm happy for you, Indy," he said. "But, you need to be careful. He could lose his job over this. And who knows what would happen to you."

"We've made it this far," I said. "I think we'll be fine."

"Tell him to stop making goo goo eyes at you in public and maybe you will be."