3. Riverview

After I finished my classes for the day, I returned to my apartment to get my car before driving to work. I worked at a bookstore at the heart of the downtown area of Brighton. It was a local shop, a little on the larger side, with high ceilings and full of bookshelves which were stuffed to the brim with a vast variety of books. I loved it, and I almost always enjoyed working a shift, even after a long day of attending classes.

"Hey Huey," I greeted my coworker as I joined him behind the counter.

"Hey, Indigo," he replied with an eager smile. "How are things?" He was tall, and a short crop of sandy hair. He had a bright personality and working a shift was him was always fun.

"Things are good," I told him as I tucked my purse underneath the counter. "What about you?"

"I'm good," he said. "It looks like it's going to be a quiet night."

"I'm not so sure about that. Classes began today and Brighton. I'm sure plenty of students will pop in looking for textbooks, or just something to read."

"Oh, that's right." Huey hadn't been in school for a few years, graduating with a degree in photography. He worked as a photographer during the day and worked the bookstore a night. It was a gig he began during his time in school and simply never left, even after graduation.

"I don't mind it," I said. "It'll keep me busy."

"Why? Is something on your mind?"

"Not really," I lied. Truthfully, Theodore had been laced with my thoughts all day, but for no particular reason I wasn't willing to admit that to Huey.

The shift went smoothly, with more foot traffic than usual, and things only begun to wind down around 8pm. I was rearranging some books on the bookshelves, making sure everything was neat and tidy, when I saw a familiar face through the bookshelf. Theodore was there, facing away from me and examining the books on the next shelf over.

I shoved the books I'd pulled back into place, blocking myself from view, as my heart raced in my chest. What were the odds that he'd show up here, of all places? I debated on whether or not I should approach him. Ultimately, I decided that it would be better if I left him alone and allowed Huey to handle him at the check out counter when he was ready. I moved a few rows over and continued working on rearranging the books on the shelves. After about ten minutes, however, my plan was foiled.

"Indigo?" I heard Theodore say from the end of the aisle.

I looked over from what I was doing and acted surprised to see him. "Theodore, hi! What are the odds?" I said. "Or should I called you Professor Callahan?"

"What's that?" he asked as he walked closer. "Are you in one of my classes?"

"Chemistry I," I said. "9am."

"Ah!" he said. "That's a large class. I hadn't seen you."

"Understandably," I replied as I felt heat creep into my cheeks. I hoped he didn't notice.

"Well, I'll have to keep my eye out for you," he said with a warm smile.

"Good luck," I chuckled. "There has to be at least a hundred people in that class."

"One hundred and twenty-two," he said.

"Wow," I said. "I don't know how you do it. I'd be nervous talking in front of that many people."

"You get used to it," he told me. "As long as you present yourself with confidence, you'd be fine."

"Still," I said. "I think I'd be happier behind a pile of books."

"Do you work here?" he asked. It was a reasonable question, since we didn't wear uniforms at Riverview Books.

"Yes," I said. "It's a pretty nice job. I thoroughly enjoy it."

"Is this what you'd like to do after you're done with school?"

"Similar. I want to be a librarian," I confessed.

"Nobel work," Theodore said with a nod. "How long until you graduate?"

"This is my last year," I told him. Even though I knew he was making normal conversation, I couldn't help but be flattered that he asked. I couldn't let myself get my hopes up. There was no way he meant anything by it.

"Nice," he replied. "You're almost there."

"Almost," I said. "As long as I can survive your class."

"Is science not your strong suit?"

"Math," I admitted.

"Well, if you ever need help, feel free to stop by my office. I have office hours every day between five and seven."

"Yeah, sure," I smiled. "I'll be sure to keep that in mind."

* * *

Walking with Maria after class a few days later, we made our way toward one of the on campus coffee shops and caught up with each other. I'd been gone through a bulk of the summer, choosing to return to Texas, my home state, visiting my family before coming back and putting my all into my coursework. I was a very focused student, and I didn't keep up with home as well as I probably should've while I was in the throes of a school year.

"Things get pretty dry around here during the summer," Maria said. "You didn't miss much."

"Still, it feels good to be back," I replied. I loved the pacific northwest, though I was still struggling to decide if I wanted to stay after I graduated or return to my family back in Texas.

"What are you doing next Saturday?" she asked me while we waited in line to order our coffee.

"Nothing as of now," I replied. "Why?"

"The girls over at Sigma Phi are throwing a party to kick off the semester. You should come." Maria had been a part of the sorority since her freshman year and advocated for me to show up at events throughout the years, if anything, just get me out of my apartment.

"I'm not so sure about that," I said. Maria's parties had the capacity to be fun, but they weren't usually my speed.

"Come on, Indy!" Maria pleaded. "What's the worst that could happen? You have a good time?"

"I think about it," I said, changing my answer.

"Are you going to pretend to think about it or are you actually going to consider coming?"

"I'll actually think about it. It depends on how my classes are going."

"Okay," Maria grinned. "I'll take it."