24. Phone Call

"Where would you like to go?" Theodore asked as he drove. "It's late. I'm sure it'd be fine if I dropped you off at your apartment."

"Do you mind if we go back to your place?" I asked.

'That's fine," he said. He didn't say anything for a moment. "A house party?"

"What about it?"

"That didn't strike me as your scene."

"Well," I huffed, "when your best friend is deeply intrenched in the sorority cult you find yourself there quite a bit."

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing. Huey was trying to set up a date with me and maria was being rude about it when I told her." I deliberately didn't include the detail about Maria accusing me of keeping Huey on the hook. It wouldn't look good, even if I explained my reasoning.

"Huey was there? I thought he wasn't in school anymore."

"Right, but he gets invited because he's friends with Maria. He doesn't usually show up but today he had a change of heart."

"I can imagine why," Theodore said.

"Oh come on. You know it's not like that," I said.

"Can't you tell him you're taken? Or at least not interested?"

"I'd rather not drop hints about our illicit relationship if I can help it. If I tell him I'm taken, he'll hound me."

"You don't have to get into the gory details, just enough to get him off your back."

I sat quietly, staring out of the windshield.

"Well?" he prodded.

"Yeah. I'll talk to him."

"Thank you."

I looked out of the passenger window and said nothing.

* * *

I woke up early the next morning in Theodore's bed. I didn't want to get up but I had to get back to my apartment to get ready for my classes. Theodore still slept beside me as I climbed out of bed and walked into the living room. I pulled out my phone to order an Uber when I saw a slew of missed calls from Maria.

Begrudgingly, I called her back. I hoped she was still asleep.

Maria answered after a few rings. "Uh, hello! I've been trying to call you all night."

"Sorry," I said. "I was busy."

"You're sorry? I've been worried about you! I saw you get into someone's car. Where are you?

Worried? After our conversation the previous night I was surprised, albeit, not particularly impressed. "Don't worry about it."

"Is it your new boyfriend? Why are you being so secretive about it?"

"I told you, it's new. I want to enjoy it in private." I didn't exactly feel like divulging details of my life after all of the name calling.

"I don't know what's going on with you but you need to get a grip. What I said about Huey wasn't out of left field. You need to cut him loose."

"I am. I will. Trust me."

"How can I? You have so many secrets now."

"You're being dramatic," I said.

"Don't call me dramatic. I'm being serious. You've been acting totally different lately."

I was annoyed by her accusations. "Would you prefer I stay a meek little wallflower for you? Would you prefer I stay a quiet loser that all your sorority sisters can compare you to?"

"What the hell are you talking about?" she demanded.

"Well?"

"You're being a total head case."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

"You know what?" I said. "I think I'm done here."

"What?"

"I don't think we have anything else to discuss. I got home safe. I'm not your problem anymore."

"You know what? Fuck you, Indy. I don't know whats gotten into you but you need to get it together."

I hung up. I had nothing helpful to say and fighting with her was pointless. I was better off just cutting her off.

"What was that?" I heard Theodore ask from behind me.

I turned around to look at him; he stood in the doorway to his bedroom. He was still in his sleep pants, with no shirt on. His hair was adorably tousled and my heart melted a bit when I looked at him.

"Maria," I said. "She's pissed that I left last night."

"Really? It sounded like a little more than that."

"Well, last night she called me a pretentious bitch, and now she just called me a head case. I'm kinda over it."

Theodore approached me.

"What was the loser comment about?" he asked.

"She only ever keeps me around to make herself look better. That's why she's so pissed that I'm 'changing'."

"Perhaps... you're both just upset," he suggested.

"Are you taking her side?" I asked, taken a back.

"No, not at all," he said. "I'm just saying that maybe the two of you could use a little time apart."

"Yeah, sure."

Theodore pulled me into his arms. "Hey," he said. "I'm here for you."

"I know," I sighed.

"You're not a loser."

I leaned into his chest. "I know."

Theodore kissed the top of my head. "This rift will pass," he said. "Give it a little time."

"We'll see," I replied. I wasn't feeling particularly optimistic about it. "I need to get going. We both have to be in class in a little over an hour."

"We never seem to have enough time together, do we?" Theodore asked, smiling down at me.

"No, not at all," I said.

Theodore pressed his lips against mine. I kissed him back and then looked up at him with deep affection. I hated to part ways, but I was comforted by the fact that I'd see him again soon enough, even if it was only in class.

"I love you," I said before I could stop the words from leaving my mouth. For a moment, I was mortified, sure I'd crossed a line. My cheeks burned as I waited for a response.

Theodore looked at me for a moment before cupping the side of my face with his hand. He ran his thumb across my cheek.

"I love you, too," he said with a gentle smile. "More than you know."