14. Reccomendation

A week passed and I was working on a shift at the bookstore with Huey, chatting in a responsibly muted tone behind the front desk while a few customers perused the shelves.

"Have you seen the latest episode of Hell's Kitchen," he asked with a wide smile.

"I did," I said. "It was pretty cringy. Some of those chefs make it hard to watch." I didn't watch TV often, but when I did it was usually a cooking show of some sort. HGTV was another favorite of mine, but it wasn't as exciting as watching Gordon Ramsey yell at people.

"No kidding," Huey said. "I can't believe that Jeff guy had the nerve to mock Gordon behind his back."

"Was it really behind his back if he was immediately caught?" I asked with a chuckle.

Just then the front door opened and Theo entered the bookstore. He spotted me right away and approached the counter.

"Hi, Theodore," I greeted him. "How are you?"

"I'm good," he replied with a broad smile. "It's good to see you."

"What can I help you with today?" I asked.

"I just finished The Bell Which Tolls at Midnight and I'm looking for another read within the same genre. Do you have any recommendations?"

"Sure," I replied. "Right this way."

I led him to a shelf near the front of the building, along the right wall. I studied the shelf as I looked for a few books that I thought he would like.

"You know, I probably shouldn't say this," Theodore said, catching my attention, "but, there's a fall fair in Rummington next weekend. It looks like it could be a fun time."

"Rummington?" I echoed. "That's about an hour away, right?"

"Right," he replied. "It could be a safe location to spend the day together."

I smiled. "What happened to waiting until the summer?"

"It could just be two people crossing paths and spending some time together."

"Oh, I see. Like the museum."

"Exactly."

"You're toeing a line that I'm not sure you want to cross," I warned him.

"Nothing has to happen," he insisted. "What's the difference between that and getting coffee?"

"I think you know the difference."

"You're right. It was a bad idea."

"I didn't say it was a bad idea, I'm just trying to make sure you know what you're doing."

"If we're spotted, we would have a good explanation. We weren't doing anything and there's nothing to it."

"As long as nothing happens between us," I said.

"Nothing will happen," Theodore insisted.

"Okay," I agreed. "It sounds fun. We'll be taking separate cars?"

"It needs to look like we're not together."

"Right. Sounds good." I regret not being able to enjoy the hour long drive out there with him, but it was better to play things safe. "Should we at least exchange numbers? To help coordinate?"

"Sure," Theodore said, pulling out his cell phone.

I put my number in his phone and texted myself so I could add him to my contacts when I got back to the counter.

"Thanks," Theodore said.

"No problem," I smiled. "Try not to blow me up."

"Will do," he said. "Now, what are your book recommendations for me?"

After Theodore chose a book, we returned to the counter where I checked him out. The rest of the customers had left by the Theodore walked back through the front door, out onto the street.

"What was that about?" Huey asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Theodore? That was Professor Callahan, right? I didn't realize you were on first name basis with him."

"Lot's of students are on first name basis with him," I said.

Huey didn't seem so convinced.

"They are," I insisted.

"You sound defensive."

"I'm not. You're just being weird."

"I'm not being weird."

"Then why are you hounding me about helping a customer? He asked for my help and I got him to buy multiple books."

"You two were back behind those shelves for a while."

"Hardly. I was just doing my job."

"If you say so," he said. He still didn't seem wholly convinced.

Whatever. Huey wasn't my problem.

Annoyed, I left the counter and went about checking the shelves, straightening up and reorganizing the books. Huey was being obnoxious and I needed to distract myself from him. I didn't know what his problem was but I assumed he would get over it quickly.

Instead of focusing on Huey, my mind wandered to the possibilities of the following weekend. A whole day with Theo, all to myself. I was beyond excited, and I hated that I would have to wait an entire week for it. I reminded myself that patience was a virtue, even though I struggled to fully practice it.

I kept myself busy throughout the week, keeping up with my school work and spending myself spare time between work shifts with Maria. She didn't seem to notice a difference in me, but then again, she was still wrapped up in her problems with Clyde.

As it turned out, Maria and Clyde had gone out to dinner as I suggested, but she'd made little to no progress with him. He was still clamming up and denying that anything was wrong. I had no other advice for her, so I just lent her a sympathetic ear.

"I'm sorry you guys are going through a rough patch," I said as we sat on her bed. It was Thursday night and we had been hanging out and catching up for the past hour.

"It's okay," she said. "I just hope it passes soon. I'm sick of it."

"I think everyone goes through rough patches," I said, speaking from very little experience.

"I know," she said. "It still sucks."

"If there's anything I can do to help..." I offered, unsure of what I could possibly do for her.

"Don't worry about it," she said. "Let's forget about it for now and watch some TV."