29. Interruption

The weekend passed and the new semester was officially underway. I was no longer in Theodore's class so I'd have to settle on just seeing him after hours. It was only a few days into the semester and I already missed listening to his lectures, regardless of how confusing they could be at times.

It was a cold, gray day as I walked across the courtyard between classes. I had a little extra time so I decided to stop by a coffee shop on campus to get something to drink. The line was long but I wasn't worried and after about fifteen minutes I walked away with a vanilla latte in hand.

As I crossed the courtyard in the general direction of my next class, I spotted a familiar face. Theodore was walking across campus, book bag in hand, heading towards the library. I took a few steps toward him before stopping myself. I knew it wouldn't be appropriate for me to approach him in public.

I took another look at him and realized he was walking with Marcy; they seemed to be deep in a conversation.

Immediately, I felt a pang of jealousy - it was unsettling and very unlike me. I never considered myself the jealous type, but watching Theodore and Marcy walking together stirred something within me. I gripped my latte and resisted the urge to rush over. Approaching him in front of Marcy was an even worse idea than approaching him while he was alone.

I watched them walk away, until they were out of sight. I couldn't shake the ugly feeling that festered in my chest. It shouldn't bother me to see them together - she was his TA after all - but something about her bothered me. Marcy was sunny and bright, intelligent, too. She didn't struggle with math like I did, and Chemistry was a breeze for her. On paper it would make more sense if Theodore was interested in her; it was apparent that she seemed to enjoy his attention from what I'd witnessed so far.

I shook my head, took a sip of my latte, and continued on to class. Dwelling on darker corners of my imagination wasn't going to help my mood. It was nothing. I was just being unusually insecure.

"Damn it," I muttered under my breath.

Marcy may have been innocent, but I still wanted her to fall into a large ditch. Technically she wouldn't have deserved it, but it certainly would've made me feel better.

* * *

That evening I let my insecurity get to me and I went to Theodore's office at the end of his office hours. He was behind his desk as usual, though today he was studying his laptop screen.

"Hey," I said from the doorway.

"Hey," he said, looking over. I was glad that he seemed pleased to see me despite the fact I had no business being there anymore.

I closed the door and took a seat in my usual seat across from him.

"How are you?" he asked. "What brings you in?"

"Can't I just stop by to see you?" I asked.

"Certainly," he smiled. "How was your day?"

"It was fine," I said, reluctantly thinking back to the sick feeling I felt when I saw him and Marcy from across the courtyard. "What about you?"

"I've been busy," he said. "But it's been good. I'm glad to see you. I was just about to message you."

"Oh, yeah?" I smiled.

"I was going to ask if you wanted to stop by my place tonight."

"Of course, I will." My ill feelings from before eased greatly. Naturally, I'd been worked up over nothing, just as I'd expected.

"Good," he said. "I won't be much longer if you don't mind waiting for me."

"Only if you don't mind me loitering around."

"Never," he said before returning his attention to his laptop.

I dug through my book bag and pulled out my phone; I tapped around the screen, not doing much. I wasn't really one for social media so I didn't have much to do to pass the time. I opened the Kindle app and began looking around the store for something interesting to read.

After a few minutes the door opened and Marcy walked in.

"Hey, Theodore," she said brightly. She stopped short when she saw me.

"Hello, Marcy," Theodore said, looking away from his laptop again.

"Indigo, right?" Marcy asked, pointing at me.

"Yeah," I said, immediately annoyed that she was acting like we hadn't met multiple times before.

"Weren't you in Theodore's class last semester?"

I looked at her but didn't respond. She was getting under my skin, fast.

"Indigo stopped by to say hi," Theodore said.

"Office hours aren't for social calls," Marcy said to me.

"Sorry. I didn't realize," I said simply. I didn't move from my seat.

"There's no need for that, Marcy. She's just being nice," Theodore said.

"You're busy," she said. "And she's not your student anymore. She can say hi in the hallway."

Theodore looked mildly annoyed; I was incensed.

"She's right," I said, biting my tongue. I stuffed my phone back into my bag and stood up. "I probably shouldn't be bothering you. I should go."

Marcy was pleased with my submission. It was written all over her face.

"It was nice seeing you, Indigo," Theodore said.

"Yeah, you, too," I replied. I gave him a small wave before quietly passing Marcy and stepping out of the door.

"What did you need?" I heard Theodore ask her.

"I was just stopping by to say bye," she replied.

I resisted the urge to slam the door shut behind me. Instead, I calmly headed down the hallway and made my way back home.