22. Vulnerbility

After we finished with the dishes, Theodore and I sat on the couch and watched TV together. It felt nice to do normal, everyday things with him. I hoped that one day it would be a regular occurrence in my life. But, like Theodore said, there was no need to rush.

"You know, I hadn't anticipated dating again," Theodore admitted during a commercial break.

"Oh, really?" I asked, looking over at him.

"Yes," he said. He paused before adding, "I just don't want you to think I was out looking for someone, especially in the student population."

"I know that," I assured him. "This just...happened."

"My ex...we were engaged, I really loved her," he explained. "But, one day she broke it off. She'd been seeing my closest friend behind my back for six months. Here I was, so sure she was the only one for me, but I couldn't have been more wrong."

"Wow. I'm sorry that happened to you. That...seriously, that's awful."

"It's okay. It hurt, for a long time it did, but...I think I'm really truly over it. Finally."

"Good. I'm glad," I smiled with encouragement. I was pleased that he felt comfortable enough to open up to me. I deeply appreciated it.

"I haven't dated since her," Theodore said. "Until you."

"How long has it been?" I asked.

"It's been almost two years. The break up was a complete mess." He paused for a moment. "Was this too soon to share?"

"No, I'm glad you did. I'm glad you can open up to me. It means a lot."

"Thank you," Theodore smiled. "You have no idea how much you've changed my life for the better."

"You already know I don't exactly date. This is a big deal for me, too," I assured him.

"Why is that?" he asked.

"Hm?"

"Why don't you date?"

I thought about his question for a moment. "I don't think there's a real reason for it," I said. "I just hadn't met anyone I was interested in. I don't know. Plus, my priorities have been more focused on school and my future."

"Dating is a factor in your future, as well," Theodore pointed out.

"Sure, but I always figured I'd have plenty of time to address that later. There are so many people in the world; I assumed I'd meet the right person in my own time."

Theodore looked at me, studying my face with gentle eyes, before he leaned in and kissed me. His lips felt warm against mine, and I kissed him back with urgency. I had him all to myself, with no risk of being interrupted, and I wanted to enjoy every moment of it. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he pulled me into his lap, deepening our kiss.

"Can I stay?" I asked after our kiss ended. "I don't want to leave."

"Of course," he replied. "You can stay all weekend if you'd like."

"I'd have to go back to my apartment and pack a bag."

"That won't take more than thirty minutes," he chuckled.

"I know," I frowned. "Still, I don't want to loose a single moment with you."

"I think you'll live," he said. "Plus, you know it's best we aren't seen together on campus."

"I know, I know. I'm just saying, I'm going to miss you for those thirty minutes."

"And I will miss you," he said, planting a kiss on my lips. "But, it's only a half an hour out of our four days together."

"True," I said. "I guess I should go get it over with, then."

"Hurry back," Theodore said. "My heart aches without you."

I forced myself to drive at a reasonable speed back to my apartment, but I didn't waste any time when I got there. I rushed back to my room and pulled a duffle back out of my closet before piling clothes and toiletries inside of it. I packed a few books as well, just in case, as well as my iPad and charger.

I was so excited to get back to Theodore's that I hadn't realized that I wasn't home alone until I walked back into the living room. Kelsey was sitting on the couch, though she hadn't been when I first walked through the apartment.

"Hey, Indigo," she said when I entered the room.

"Oh, hey Kelsey," I said, surprised to see here. "What are you doing here?"

"I didn't feel like flying back to Minnesota for a weekend."

I had no idea she was from out of state but I hid my surprise.

"Where are you going?" she asked, eyeing my duffle bag.

"I'm spending the rest of the break at a friend's house," I said.

"A friend?" she asked, her interest peaked. "What kind of friend?"

"Just a normal regular friend," I replied.

"Right," she said. "That's why you're blushing."

"I'm not."

"Whatever, Indigo," Kelsey smiled, rolling her eyes. "Just be sure to use protection."

"Kelsey!" I exclaimed, thoroughly embarrassed.

"What?" she demanded. "I'm just trying to be a good roommate."

"It's not like that," I insisted. My cheeks were burning.

"Sure," Kelsey said. "Whatever you say."

I left the apartment hastily, mortified that Kelsey had called me out. I knew it was a bit of an overreaction, but I felt protective of my relationship with Theodore. It was weird getting any amount of advice about it, even if Kelsey didn't exactly know what she was talking about.

I tried to put her out of my mind as I drove back to Theodore's. She wasn't my focus, or my problem for another four days. I exhaled and relaxed. It was time to sit back and enjoy my break.