Solace 1

Margaret

I was eager to get to the lighthouse the next morning. I wanted to leave the house earlier than I usually did. I wanted more than anything to be in the comfort of Jonathan's presence. I craved it!

I tiptoed down the hall to my parents' bedroom and opened the door slowly, peeping inside to see if my mother was still breathing. I thought about waiting a bit and leaving the time that I usually did. There was still one hour left before sunrise and it took me only fourteen minutes to get to the lighthouse. I didn't want to go there and find that he hadn't arrived, but my patience wouldn't let me stay in the house any longer. I ran down the stairs as silently as I could. I took the car keys from the drawer of the small table next to the front door, then left the house and drove up to the lighthouse.

When I got to the lighthouse he was already there, standing in the same place he did every day before. It seemed that we both had intentions to get there earlier than usual. The light from the beacon spun and flashed on him, giving me a clear view of his being. He wasn't looking in my direction. He was looking out toward the ocean with his hands inside his pocket. He wore a white shirt, much like the one he wore the day before, a newsboy hat, and gray pants with brown suspenders. I parked my car in the parking lot and took a deep breath to help calm my nerves before getting out of the car.

I walked up to the lighthouse slowly. There was no need for me to run toward the fence since there were at least forty-five minutes before sunrise. I took my time as I took one step after another, each step bringing me closer to the lighthouse and also closer to him.

I walked over to the fence slowly and I stood next to it looking toward the ocean and smiling. I felt shy, which wasn't common for me because I had never been shy toward anyone. I hadn't been shy on the days he was here and had not introduced himself but, I was now that we had spoken, and I had known his name.

I stood staring out towards the ocean as the beacon spun and flashed. I wanted to acknowledge his presence but I needed a few minutes to prepare myself. When I finally got the courage to turn around, I took a few deep breaths before turning to look at him. He smiled, walked over, and stood next to me.

"Good morning, Margaret," he said.

My name sounded so different coming from his mouth. I had never heard my name sound that way before. He said it passionately, causing me to hold onto the fence to keep my balance.

"Good morning Jonathan," I responded, looking into his eyes.

"I thought I'd find you here," he smiled.

I returned the smile and we stared into each other's eyes for moments longer than we should have. After all, we were only getting to know each other. It would have been careless of us to rush into love so quickly like fools, but the force of true love was stronger than any willpower we had. In that moment all I could think of was his lips and how much I wanted to press mine against them. And somehow I knew he wanted the same thing.

When I was finally able to look away, he placed his hands on the fence next to mine. We stood there in silence with my right hand extremely close to his left. So close that there was barely space for air to pass between them. I liked what he was doing to me. I always dreamed of a day when I would fall deeply in love with someone but I never imagined it would be him. I was elated that it was him.

Jonathan

I didn't get much sleep last night as I couldn't get her out of my mind. I kept thinking about her. I wondered where she was and if I plagued her thoughts like she did mine.

She wore a green dress with white polka dots and a white collar that day. It suited her. It was more stylish than what she wore the day before and made me wonder if she had worn it for me. I looked down at her feet and found that they were bare just as they had been the days before. I couldn't help but wonder if they were as soft as her hands were.