Cassandra

I open my eyes to find my sister Laura in the doorway screaming at me.

"You've got to get ready," she says, "Your graduation starts in three hours, and you better not be late!"

I roll my eyes in response as she slams my room door shut.

"Always when it's getting to the good part!" I say in frustration.

I pick up my phone from the nightstand; it's five o'clock. I force my body out of bed and walk into the bathroom.

I started dreaming of Margaret around the same time I turned eighteen. I don't know who she is, but I know that she loves Jonathan more than life itself, or at least she did. The dreams are always the same; her wedding day. I never get past the part where she kisses Jonathan for the second time.

I don't exactly believe in love, but I believe in family. Love, it makes you vulnerable. It takes over your mind, and it controls and consumes you. I saw my father love my mother with every breath he took, and she left him with two small girls to raise on his own while she ran away with another man to the other side of the country. I was only six years old, and my sister Laura was twelve. We haven't heard from her since. From that day, I swore to never fall in love with anyone. Sometimes, I wish she'd show up on important days like today, but that's a fantasy that won't become a reality.

I grab my towel, wrap it around my wet body, and then grab another to wrap my wet hair before stepping out of the shower.

As I step into my room, I notice a white dress lying on my bed.

"Laura!" I say softly, lifting the dress to look at it, then placing it back on the bed carefully.

I am not the type to prepare for anything, and today isn't any different. I don't like going to anything formal, but Laura is different; she lives for these things. She always ensures that Dad and I are taken care of. She packed our lunches daily before school and work and ensured we ate healthily. She almost turned down her scholarship to Harvard after graduating high school to stay here and help Dad take care of me, but we begged her not to. So, she went to Harvard and called every day to ensure I was eating right and keeping up with my studies. She also came home every time she was on break to help me with school and work at the law firm with our father. I owe her everything.

I stand in front of the arched mirror next to the window to admire my natural beauty before Laura comes in to taint it with makeup. I remove the towel around myself to expose my naked body and then the other so my raven black hair falls on my back. I take a moment to admire my features. My olive-brown skin shines like gold as the sunlight pierces through my window and shines on it.

I turn to either side to take in my body. My breasts are perfect C cups, and my butt is just the right size for my small frame; it's not too big. Staring at my unclothed body in the mirror became a habit when my body started changing. I would stare at myself in the mirror every day to see if my breasts had gotten bigger or if there was a new strand of pubic hair. I think that going through puberty made me curious about my body.

"Cassandra!".

I jump at the sound of Laura's voice.

"What?" I say more annoyed than embarrassed. "Ever heard of knocking?"

"Don't you get tired of looking at your naked ass in the mirror?" she replies, clearly avoiding my question.

I choose to ignore her as I search through my underwear drawer. I pull out a pair of plain black underwear, and a strapless bra and put them on.

"Put on your robe," Laura commands, and I stare at her in confusion. "We should do your hair and makeup before you get dressed," she explains.

I notice the small, nude makeup bag in her hand. I walk into the closet and put on a white silk robe exactly like the one Laura's wearing, then walk back out and sit at the dressing table.