Bliss 1

Nicholas

When you've had the same dreams for four years and it suddenly stops it doesn't go unnoticed. I woke up this morning from a dreamless sleep but I was too wrapped up in bliss from last night to focus on it. The salient purpose of those dreams was to find Cassandra and not having them anymore can only mean one thing; they have fulfilled their purpose. I enjoyed dreaming of Jonathan and Margaret even when it led to a nightmare, but if I never have those dreams again I will be content knowing that I now have Cassandra.

My phone buzzes on my desk. I walk away from the window to look at it, and smile immediately as I notice that it's a text from her. I smile as I read the message through the locked screen.

*I'm on my way up. See you soon. :)*

I tap my fingers on the desk a few times and then check the time on my watch, it's 6:25 p.m. She's right on time. I pick up my phone to call Pete.

"Mr. Sanders," I say into the phone. "Did you check the mechanics as I asked?"

"Yes, and everything is in order. I'm about to make my way to you."

"Sounds good, " I say, "We'll meet you on the rooftop."

I hang up the phone and pick up my camera from the desk and make my way down the hall. I find Mrs. Cooper still sitting at her desk. She's always the last to leave the office and refuses to leave until everyone else has.

"Nick, did you need something?" Mrs.Cooper asks as she spots me coming down the hall.

"No ma'am," I respond giving her a small smile as I stand in front of her desk. "You must be tired. Why don't you go home? I'll lock up."

"Are you sure?" She asks. "I don't mind staying."

"It's fine. Besides, I'll be here for a while, and I would hate to be the reason that you go home late to your husband."

She laughs. "Oh, Ted doesn't mind my coming home late. In fact, I think he likes it so he won't have to hear me talking while he watches reruns of Miami Vice." She laughs. "But if you insist, then I'll be glad to leave."

"I insist."

She stands, picks up her bag from the desk and hangs it on her left shoulder, then walks to the front of the elevator and presses the button on the side as she waits for the doors to open.

"Are you expecting someone?" She asks, realizing that I was still standing in front of her desk instead of making my way back to my office.

"Yes?"

"So that's why you insisted that I leave?"

I nod my head with the look of guilt plastered over my face.

"Is it the special lady that you mentioned earlier?" she smiles.

I give her a small smile. "It is."

"Is she already on her way up?"

I nod my head in response.

"Well, I guess now's my chance to meet her."

I chuckle at Mrs. Cooper's words. "I guess it is."

The elevator chimes and I hold my breath as the doors split open slowly and reveals her presence to me. I can't help but smile from ear to ear as our eyes lock and she smiles back at me. I look at her from hair to feet and back. She looks amazing as always. She's wearing a black sundress with small red Gerbera Daisies all over it and sleeves that reach just below her shoulders.

"Hi," I say, smiling at her.

"Hi," she responds, returning the smile as she remains standing in the elevator.