Friends From the Past

Riley POV:

"Hey are you ready to go?" I called throughout the house. Harper came around the corner with a smile on her face. "Yeah I am, lets get going." She replied. My dad stood next to the front door and pulled us both into a hug as he kissed the top of my head. 

"Be safe, it's a long drive." He said as he pulled back from the hug. "We will dad. I'll call you if we need anything." I replied. I grabbed my draw string bag of snacks from off the floor and slung it over my shoulder. I held my keys in one hand and grabbed Harper's hand with the other before leading us outside. 

When we got to my car we parted ways so that I could open the passenger side door for her and she could open the driver's side for me. As we passed each other in front of the car I leaned up and gave her a quick kiss. "Thank you beautiful." I said, making her blush. We then got in the car and started our drive.

"How long is the drive again?" Harper asked.

"It's about an hour and a half. We will get there in time to have lunch before going to the game." I replied. Back in September, Harper and I had plans to go watch one of my friend Kayla's soccer games before I found out that my brother had passed away and bailed on the date. Now we were finally getting a chance to go to a game.

Kayla's team was having a friendly match against another college and it was one of the last ones of her college career. After this she would be done with soccer which is kind of sad to think about. Since she plays for a D3 school, it's highly unlikely that she will play professional soccer after college. I'm pretty sure she plans to just get a job in her major and never play soccer again.

I'm hoping that won't be the case for me. Right now I am on track to play professionally after college but you never know. I could have a career ending injury that changes everything. I'm lucky that I have my engineering to fall back on. I've decided that I will either work part time while I play soccer or I will just get a job in engineering after I retire, which is a long way away. If I play professional soccer I plan on playing until I'm 40, if I haven't physically fallen apart by then.

I reached over to turn up the ac a bit and to higher the music. Kilby Girl by the Backseat Lovers was playing. I glanced over at Harper to see that she was already looking at me with a smile. "You remember that night?" She asked.

"Of course I do." I replied. Harper sighed with a smile as she leaned back in her seat. "I was so in awe of you that night. I'm always in awe of you. You never cease to amaze me Riley Sader." She said.

I laughed before stealing another glance at her. She looked so beautiful with a smile across her face as she looked out the window of the car. "Well if you couldn't tell, I was already obsessed with you back then. I hate being the center of attention but the second that I saw that you didn't feel comfortable doing karaoke I immediately volunteered myself. I didn't even have to think about it, I just did it." I said.

Harper turned to look at me with a smile. "Yeah I know you did. You made it so easy for me to fall in love with you." She replied.

"I'll always love you." I said to her. She smiled even brighter. "I'll always love you too."

The song changed to another and I recognized it as being one of the songs on the playlist that Harper made for us. "Are you playing our playlist?" I asked. She traced her finger around the cup holder with a smirk on her face. "Maybe." She said mischievously.

I laughed before turning my attention back to the road. A couple minutes passed before Harper spoke again. "Hey when do you go back down to UNC to practice with the team now that you're fully cleared?" Harper asked. 

"I think I go next week. Do you want to come down too? I'm sure coach would love to see you." I replied.

"I wish I could. I have a final next week for my spanish class. I have no clue what it's on, I'm definitely going to fail it."