November Rain

Harper POV:

I woke up to the sound of the rain gently patting on the roof. I rolled over, surprised to see that Riley wasn't in the bed next to me. Confused, I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and reached for my phone on the night stand.

It was barely past 5am. Where is Riley?

Groaning, I wrapped myself in a blanket and rolled out of bed. My frizzy bed hair flew in all directions and I swatted it out of my face. I walked all throughout the house but I couldn't find Riley. Her car was gone as well.

I started to worry but I didn't want to wake up her dad. I quickly jogged back upstairs to get dressed. I threw on a pair of black sweatpants and a grey hoodie before throwing a rain jacket on over it. I quietly tip toed down the stairs to make sure I didn't wake up Riley's dad and grabbed my car keys.

I slipped on my running shoes before slowly cracking open the front door. I was probably being paranoid but I didn't want to risk getting caught sneaking out. Riley's dad had been beyond generous letting me stay at their house. I definitely don't want to screw that up.

Once I made it out the front door I sprinted over to my car before hopping in and slamming the door shut. That's when I realized. "Shit." Where the fuck am I even going? Riley could be anywhere right now.

I leaned forward, letting my head smack against the steering wheel as I groaned in frustration. I was getting ready to call Josh for help finding her when an idea popped into my head. I quickly started my car and drove in the direction of the school.

Now the rain was falling harder than it was when I woke up. My windshield wipers were turned up all the way and I drove a good 5 miles under the speed limit at all times so that I could avoid skidding my car through puddles.

When I got to the school I saw Riley's bronco in the stadium parking lot. I pulled my car in and parked it right next to hers. Pulling my rain jacket hood over my head, I hopped out of the car and ran to get under the overhang of the stadium.

"Shit." I said to myself.

How the fuck am I supposed to get in? The stadium was locked and surrounded by a large fence. I walked around a couple times before concluding that there was only one way in. Carefully I gripped the fence and placed my foot in the hole of the fence. I tested to make sure that I wasn't going to slip before hoisting myself up and placing my other foot in the fence.

Once I got to the top, I placed both my feet on the edge before carefully hopping down. As I walked over to the field I could see Riley's small figure laying on the center circle of the turf. Without saying a word I walked over and laid on the turf next to her.

She was dressed similarly to me with her sweatpants and rain jacket. She had on a Scranton High baseball hat with her rain jacket hood pulled up to the rim. When she noticed that I was next to her, she turned her head to the side to look at me. She reached inside her hood and pulled out one of the earbuds to her wired headphones before offering it to me.

I scooted closer so that it would reach before placing the earbud in my ear. Riley went back to staring up at the sky and I joined her. November Rain by Guns N' Roses played over the headphones and I smiled.

Riley and her music never failed to amuse me.

"Are you listening to this song just because it's November and it's raining?" I asked half jokingly.

A small smile formed on her face as she shook her head, still staring up at the sky. Rain drops gently fell on both of our faces.

"No." she whispered. "I'm listening to it because it makes me think of you." As she said that she turned to look at me. Her eyes locked with mine and I could feel a slight blush forming on my face. I flipped my hand over so that my palm was facing upward. Riley looked down at the motion and smiled before placing her hand in mine. I held her hand and rubbed the back of it with my thumb as we both turned our gaze back up to the sky.