Drunk

Riley POV:

Two weeks.

That's how long it's been since I've seen Harper. I've called and texted but after the first one my texts turned green. I assumed that she blocked me. After our championship game there was only a week left of school before thanksgiving break and Harper skipped the whole week.

I've asked Kylie, Grace, Lexi, basically the entire soccer team if they knew where she was and they all had the same answer. I was so desperate I even asked Josh if she was staying at his lake house but he said that he hasn't heard from her.

It was now the day before thanksgiving and I was driving to go do the stupidest thing that I've ever done. Even more stupid than my crazy plays in the championship game. I was driving to Harper's house.

Her parents had kicked her out a while ago because of us being together. As much as I wanted to find her, I hoped and prayed that she didn't go back home.

I parked my car in the driveway and wiped my sweaty hands on my sweatpants. I pulled my rain jacket hood over my head before stepping out of the car into the nearly pouring rain. I swiftly jogged up to the door and rang the bell. After a couple of seconds, a large burly man opened the door.

When he saw me, he looked at me confused for a few seconds before he realized who I was.

"You!" he growled angrily. "What the fuck are you doing here?"

"I-I'm looking for Harper?" I said nervously as I shoved my hands as deeply into my pockets as they could go. "Is she home?"

"Is she home?" he spat, even more angrily than before. "You're the reason my daughter won't come home! You've polluted her mind with your disgusting ways!"

I didn't know what to say. "U-Um" I started to stammer before I felt a sharp pain shoot through my cheek. I held my hand up to the spot where Harper's dad had slapped me as I looked back at him. Tears started to fill my eyes as tears started to well up in his own eyes.

"If it wasn't for you, I w-would s-still have my daughter." he stammered. The anger in his voice now joined by sadness. "S-So get the fuck out of here." he stated.

I nodded slightly, still holding my cheek as I turned away from him. I quickly hopped into my car and drove away. I didn't make it far though before the pain in my heart became too much. I pulled over to the side of the road and parked the car as sobs shook my body.

I punched the steering wheel in anger, causing the horn to blare a few times before leaning my head against it. I pulled my hoodie up and buried my face in it.

I cried and cried until my hoodie was drenched and no tears were left in my body. I wiped the remnants of my tears on my sleeve before sitting back in the seat and closing my eyes. How could I have been so stupid? I should've just communicated with Harper from the start about my college plans. No matter how unsure of them I had been.

As I sat there I realized something. My own stupidity had lost me the love of my life.

________________________________________________________________________________

Riley POV:

It was now a couple weeks after thanksgiving and Harper was back in school. You would think that it was a good thing, but in reality it wasn't. We shared almost all our classes together and in those classes, Harper had traded seats with people to sit as far away from me as possible.

She wouldn't talk to me or even look at me. At lunch, she would still sit with our group but she would sit at the opposite end of the table so that she didn't have to talk to me.