Chapter Thirty Nine

My meeting with the Congressman of New York was not my highest to do list item especially with everything going on however, New York required me to meet and speak with the people that were in positions seemingly higher then myself though I was well acquainted with what money bought in New York. I had paid for many of the campaigns that the people who ran this city had when it came time for them to be reelected, the part that I didn't always enjoy was playing politics games. The unfortunate reality was that they were needed for what I needed from the city in order for Winters Group to be as efficient as possible.

Most actions in this city could be bought, bribed, or coerced into being. I'd done my fair share of all of them, and I knew how to cover all my tracks when doing so. The art of blackmail had been something I'd witnessed done to me for a long enough period to know I wasn't always in control, but I understood that it could have it's benefit if one knew how to make it seem believable in execution.

Though the internet did have it's advantages when it came to getting information to disappear and reappear.

Walking out of one of many secret properties that the Winters Trust held within New York which included a house in almost every neighborhood in the city which was for the sake of cultivating real estate, but I mostly gifted to my security these homes so that at any time I could have security outside my residence within minutes. It was also for that reason that I had stepped out of the Greenwich residence and into the back seat of the awaiting Maybach with Elijah rounding the car his long coat buttoned tightly at the front. I on the other hand was bound in a formal military styled long coat of my own over the Brioni suit that I had worn to work, and as a requirement had come to assess one of the houses that my family owned in the city. My inspection of such buildings was mostly due to the fact that I knew a large amount of effort went into maintaining them all day long even if I never used any of them.

It was my families legacy.

My grandparents had worked for years to dump the wealth of my family, what it had all gone into seemed like the luxury lifestyle that they lived out of their Irvington house, but it had really been developing and buying up housing around New York's five boroughs to maintain the three hundred million that today was more like two point five billion based on the inflation rate that had been experienced in the last fifty years.

As the car pulled away from the curb under a torrent of New York rain I glanced to the mirror of the car where Elijah glanced to see behind us in ten second intervals. He was a good driver, and I knew that at the end of the day he would never allow a single second of time to be wasted on the many trips I took around the city.

Senator Morgan Pierce was the son to one of the shadier companies that had been my first real corporate takedown and in the end I'd watched their lives shatter, though it had come with a benefit since their daughter was commonly seen in New York society leading to her wanting to made sure that the families lifestyle wasn't disrupted, and now her brother Morgan was the Senator over New York State, which as a favour to pay her back since I destroyed her family, I helped her brother get into a political position that was both favorable for them, and advantageous for me.

"Elijah what made you stay as my bodyguard. You had a contract with my father to be employed and even after he died, you took care of me, even if it wasn't what you were contracted for?" I ask glancing out of the window at the shift from townhouses to towering residential structures.

I'd asked the question before but that was mostly the remaining as my bodyguard, which he promised to fulfill what his contract asked of him. Over time he had just chosen to stay because he and I had bonded from being around one another every day for two years. Elijah kept me from ending my life after my parents deaths, had driven me to the practices with Taz and to many other events until I'd become sixteen. After that he had been a guardian even if he was still kept on as a bodyguard that eventually was personally exclusive to me and I only paid him rather then the company that had now expanded to contain all of the active PPO's that now protected every asset I owned.