Chapter Thirty Six

At the end of the day Kate and I sat in the car on our way back towards the Hamptons. I could tell she had something to ask me, but she didn't make any comment as her and I crossed the Brooklyn Bridge back into Long Island. The buildings of Brooklyn were dark by this time of the night, and most people were at home with family. Most of them unknowingly absent from the realities of the case that was surrounding the city.

After seeing the documented plan that Adrian had about the trial and his reference to not being alone in manipulating the events in this city I had began to think about how I would keep myself and Kate protected if more things came up about the reality of what Adrian was doing, and even the many deals he and the rest of us had done.

"Adrian showed you something during lunch, you haven't been the same since," Kate says and I glance to her then back to the road because I needed to find a way to tell her without revealing all of the conversation especially since Adrian told me no one but the two of us could know. His sister was also my girlfriend and being perceptive was a trait that Adrian and Kate had in spades.

"He showed me a document with evidence," I say giving the easy answer that wasn't the full truth, but had enough of the truth that it wouldn't be counted as anything but a complete answer by most people.

Just Kate isn't most people.

"Bullshit, the whole truth Nico, and now I know that Adrian told you so that you could keep it quiet," she says calmly folding her arms and looking over to me as she leaned into the passenger seat of the car.

"He has the entire trial planned out from start to finish, every word that will be mentioned even as a slight note is carefully planned to make sure that the ex Ambrose Executive Directors go to jail. The other part of it is that there is a plan to completely profit off of their former positions. When they pay out the half a billion dollars, Adrian has an agreement with Hunter that Winters Group sells back the stake it holds which on a general chart makes it seem like Ambrose has mass productivity after the end of the trial, Niles Law will have another major win, Harrington gets to strengthen it's program of protecting highly placed politicians, and Winters Group will have gained little tip ins on everyone in the court system," I explain changing lanes and passing someone who was taking an exit.

"There's more because that wouldn't make you concerned," Kate says giving me a reassuring smile, "you don't have to tell me immediately, but I'd like to know if you'll tell me," she adds and I sigh attempting to clear my body of the stress that had built up in my shoulders.

"He's also been aware of someone who has been stalking Olivia, and also keeping tabs on all of us. He's playing his favourite game of manipulate people who think they're manipulating him, and the rest of us too. Who he wouldn't tell me but he knows its two people, and probably has their names, and all other information on them. I'm thinking of a way to keep you safe from whatever game your brother is playing," I exhale and Kate nods before setting a hand on mine.

"Do you not trust Adrian to keep us all safe?" she asks, and it would be a dangerous question considering the circumstances, because I've never trusted someone more then Adrian in my whole life. I knew what he could do, and that no matter what he was never not the one in control, which was also why I wished I hadn't adopted some of his paranoid habits to protect the people I cared about.

"I trust him, I just worry about you. I'm your boyfriend, I'm pretty sure it's my job to worry about you, and keep you as safe as I can keep you," I say before cracking a smile, "Adrian also threatened me when you and I went to junior prom together," I add and she too cracked a smile.

 "Adrian only threatened you, because it's what any protective older brother would do, though he trusts you about as much as he ever has been capable of trusting other people. Excluding Olivia but those two have the bond of the sun's gravity," Kate muses and I wish I didn't hold that same belief because of who Adrian was.

I'd watched him shut down a city for Olivia and he'd been dating her for not even six months yet. Kate and I often joked about the fact that Adrian was stubborn enough to not die just because Olivia was alive. I also knew that there would never be anything that could separate those two for very long. The same was also true for Kate and I, and for that I was certain most of my stress came from work, and then I could so much as enter the home her and I shared, and be completely free from it just because she was the one person I felt at ease around physically and emotionally.

"What about us what's our bond Katelyn?" I tease and she gives me an Adrian worthy glare in return.

"Kate, Nicholas, and I'd say you and I are stuck together almost as strong as Adrian and Olivia are," she says and I smile softly before returning my eyes to the road while her and I continued towards our home.

An hour later I rolled past the gate into our driveway and parked the car in front of the fountain that was fading between colours, creating a flickering pattern on the side of my Porsche.

Climbing out Kate and I walked towards the front door which I insisted on opening before Kate got to it even if she could have done it herself, I had to win back some boyfriend points for teasing her.

Slipping off our shoes the two of us began to pull off our coats from the trial and headed off in separate directs, Kate to the kitchen and me upstairs since I couldn't be in this suit any longer for the day. Pushing open the bedroom door I carried Kate and I's shoes to the closet before putting them back and taking off the rest of my suit. I then looked through my drawers until I found a pair of comfy pants and pulled them on along with a plain shirt before heading downstairs and finding Kate with two mugs and tea in each of them.

Sliding one of them across the table I lifted it and thanked her before the two of us settled in the living room where Kate's sketchbooks of clothing designs rested on the side tables, memoirs of what she did to create her company and all the success she now had.

I admired them for a moment, the memories of what Kate had done filled me with pride and I felt myself smile looking at them and the pride that she'd put into it. Sitting down on the sofa I pulled up a movie, and put it on play while Kate curled up next to me and pulled the blanket over the two of us, as the opening began to play on our TV. Though even as the movie played I began to wonder how this would end when there was more then just what we expected from the trial.

It's shorter then normal, I know and I'm sorry, I will try to make tomorrows lengthier, comment, vote, and share. Anyways

Peace