70. DIFFERENCES

Wonbin opened the door with no hesitation and looked inside, seeing Mr

Wonbin opened the door with no hesitation and looked inside, seeing Mr. Choi sitting on his chair across the table. The teacher tapped on the table, signaling for him to come in.

Wonbin nodded and walked in, closing the door behind. He stood in front of the elder with his hands clasped behind his back out of habit, awaiting the impending conversation, the office room too quiet that he almost heard his breathing from the constant running.

The air in the office carried the weight of yet to be delivered tensions as the two faced each other, each with their own concerns and frustrations.

Mr. Choi asked, "Do you know the total marks you scored from all the subjects?" Wonbin replied, "No. All papers haven't been distributed yet." He hummed and continued, "And do you know the marks difference between you and the second rank holder, Lee Chanyoung?"

Wonbin again shook his head, "No. I need to calculate the total marks first and have to ask him about his inorder to know the difference" he stated but that's not something he was thinking of doing or ever did. Neither his friend group nor he himself has ever had to calculate each other's result and do any comparison. If they score proficient marks then it stops there than asking about differences.

Mr. Choi stood up, saying, "Two marks. Only two marks difference. You scored 99 and his was 97. You got that two marks only because you solved a question right in the paper I set and your friend attempted it as well but his final answer came wrong but I had to give him one mark for the correct procedure. No other students got it right and some didn't even attempt it." The revelation hung in the air, emphasizing the narrow margin that had determined his position at the top.

Mr. Choi further walked out from behind his desk, putting a hand on Wonbin's shoulder as he spoke, "Any mistake could have let you down from the rank you have been occupying for years. So it's my suggestion, leave Myeong on her own. I'm certain she can handle her studies by herself. She has attained the 5th rank in one go, but you are risking something you shouldn't. So, listen to me and put an end to this help. I'm still here for her to seek guidance in physics." The weight of his advice settled in the room, urging Wonbin to think the counterpart, at the end she was right not to get help from their own school teacher.

He looked at the elder for a moment and then, lowered his gaze to the table, saying, "I appreciate your consideration, but I'm sorry. Lim Myeong wasn't the one who looked out for me; I had the choice, and I took it. Even after her hesitance for this very fear of affecting my studies, I told her that I'm willing to help her." The firmness in his voice reached in an absolute wave. 

Mr. Choi, though visibly concerned, removed his hand away and paced at a distance. "I want you to be aware of the implications. The competition is fierce, and every decision can have far-reaching consequences."

Wonbin remained silent but held up his head to look at him before adding, "I have scored the marks, so if you see any downfall in them, then it's my responsibility, and not someone else should be at fault. I'll abide by your directions and try to do better in the next exam but if you still doubt my determination, I kindly suggest that my parents would serve as the better option for this talk."