68. CHANGES

Last month of summer but the intense gaze of the sun over the city this early in the morning is still prevalent

As Myeong entered the school gate, a wave of shyness engulfed her. Whispers and stares from curious students created an atmosphere of unease. Most went unnoticed, but some were too obvious, making her feel self-conscious.

The moment she overheard a girl telling her friend about a supposed relationship with Park Wonbin, embarrassment hit her so intensely that she choked on her own saliva, wishing she could disappear in that moment. Would I be that easy to judge?

Thankfully, in the midst of the uneasy atmosphere, Myeong spotted Haneul in the stairways. Without hesitation, she quickly entangled their arms, finding solace in her friend's familiar presence. "Good morning," Haneul greeted with a warm smile.

Myeong responded, "Morning. I heard exam results will be out today." Nodding slowly, she also inquired about the time outlet.

Haneul shrugged, "Not sure. We have to check it on the notice board anyways." Agreeing, they ascended the fourth stairways together, a mix of nerves and excitement building within them as they anticipated the unveiling of their exam results.

As they climbed the stairways, Myeong's grip on Haneul's arm tightened as an anchor amidst the lingering whispers and stares. So the latter just assured with a caress in the back of ber hand.

In the supportive presence, Myeong felt less vulnerable, and she exchanged a grateful smile with her friend.

As they reached the last stairway, Myeong's steps slowed upon encountering Taesuk, who gave her an undecipherable blatant stare from above his glass rim. Despite the unease, she sent a look back, less intense but defiant.

There was no greeting exchanged as they passed each other, and they continued the walk to class and wherever the boy was going to.

Haneul nudged Myeong's shoulder and remarked, "I see Taesuk got some one-sided beef with you ever since you retorted him back in the canteen."

Myeong sighed exasperated, "He better shut his mouth. I can tolerate his owl like stares, not his words." Haneul chuckled, and together they stepped into the classroom, ready to face whatever the day held.

Entering the room, they found it half-filled already which made them both come into direct attention from the students there. And she felt the itch of the room going quiet for a moment.

She saw Wonbin talking to a classmate near the window, his back facing her before turning around to look at her way which she subconsciously avoided.

The teasing atmosphere intensified as she walked closer to her seat, and felt a mix of vulnerability and awkwardness.

Wonbin, sensing the commotion, glanced in her direction. Their eyes met briefly, and she held it this time. A subtle smile came from him to which she nodded slightly in acknowledgement.