Chapter Seven

Drip, Drip, Drip. Parker looked up from her desk to see the thick dark blanket of clouds smothering the sky. She smiled. She liked the rain. A week passed, and she still felt like everything happening around her was like a dream. Nothing felt real. She placed her pencil down and pushed her chair aside.

Parker pushed the window open and drew the curtains aside. She gazed at the outside world and wondered how much life had changed outside the small, dreary town. The breeze swept her hair aside, the coldness pressed against her face, and Parker could smell the hint of rain in its presence. Parker stuck her hand out of the window to catch the first few drops that landed. She didn't want to admit it but being in this town made her much calmer than she had been before.

Somehow she didn't worry about her Mother as much. She had a good feeling that everything was going to be alright. She felt like she didn't have to worry as much. Her Uncle and Aunt seemed like friendly people too. They were nothing like her Mother had described. She had always thought they were rich snobs who cared about nothing but their money, but she was proven wrong. Sure sometimes they'd ask her to straighten her back a little, but they didn't seem like they had bad intentions.

The pitter-patter of rain grew louder until it was a roaring wave of fury. Parker watched as the fog rolled in, covering the horizon and snatching the buildings away. She breathed in the cold, moist air. This smell was so familiar but far away, like a dream forgotten long ago. Parker moved away from her window, closing it as she did.

She then threw on a pair of sneakers and began to make her way downstairs. Aunt Linda noticed her heading towards the front door. "Parker, where are you off to?" She inquired, raising an eyebrow. "I like the rain. I want to go outside," Parker responded hesitantly. Aunt Linda sighed as she glanced out the kitchen window.

"It's raining cats and dogs outside. Are you sure you want to go out in this weather?" Linda questioned. Parker nodded her head, shuffling nervously on the spot. Aunt Linda walked over to Parker placing a hand on her shoulder, "Alright, go have fun in the rain. Do you want a raincoat or anything?". "No, where's the fun in that?" Parker grinned. Aunt Linda rolled her eyes with a smile, then flicked some water off her hands at Parker. "Hey!" Parker chuckled, stepping away.

Seising the next opportunity, Parker opened the front door and raced outside. Her clothes were drenched in seconds, but that didn't worry Parker. She looked up at the crying heavens and let the cool crisp air flood her lungs. It was twisting and turning like snakes of air. She then walked along in the street, not a soul in sight. The only person crazy enough to go out in this weather was her. The only sound that followed was the thundering rain that fell to the pavement.

Parker walked along with a smile on her face. She has been whisked away from this small town. Away from the world, now in a land of thoughts and wonder. Sometimes it was just what she needed to leave work and people behind. Her hair was soaking wet and clung to her face. That would be a problem for later. Parker passed a playground. The merry-go-rounds squeaked as it slowly turned. Parker wasn't going to lie, but the playground had a very creepy vibe when no one was there and when it was dark.

She passed the playground and continued walking down the street. How lucky she was. At times like these, she felt that nothing in the world could go wrong and everything would be alright. She wanted to stay like this forever. Stay in this moment for years, let this feeling flood her and never leave her.

Parker twirled in the rain. She was enjoying herself in her way. As Parker walked along, her sneakers filled up with water. Every step was filled with a squelching noise. Her socks were drenched. Perhaps she should have worn sandals. She hated when the water got into her socks. Now she was cold and felt like going back home. She would get in her pyjamas when she got back and nap.

                                                                                                          *

Parker stopped as she reached the garden path and looked up at the house. A warm yellow glow flowed from the light inside, leaking out into the dark world. Somehow this house beckoned her forward with a warm welcome. But, unfortunately, this didn't seem to be the same place she had first arrived. Parker brushed a piece of dripping hair to the side and walked towards the door.

Parker stepped inside the small hallway and pressed it closed behind her. She looked down at the wooden floors, now drenched from the water dripping down. Parker kicked her shoes off, and they flipped to the side of the hallway. A chair from the kitchen could be heard moving aside, footsteps followed after, and Aunt Linda appeared at the door. "Parker..." Her Aunt barely whispered. Parker stood still, eyes focused on her Aunt's pale, thin face.

"Aunt Linda... what's wrong?" Parker hesitated. Her stomach started to roll, making Parker feel uneasy and nauseous. "Parker, go dry yourself off... after that, we need to go", Aunt Linda hesitated with a slight tremble. Parker gave a quick nod and raced up the stairs. Parker threw a new top, hoodie, jeans and socks in her room. She brushed some loose hair aside, then quickly ran back down, desperate to know what was happening.

In the kitchen, Aunt Linda had her face buried in her hands. Parker was unsure if she was crying. Uncle Mark stood behind her with his hands resting on her shoulders. Parker knew instantly that something wasn't right. Aunt Linda pulled her head out of her hands. Her eyes were slightly red. She stood up quickly and beckoned Uncle Mark to follow. "What's going on?" Parker inquired, watching her Aunt quickly grab her car keys and phone.

"Parker, I am so sorry... The hospital just rang. We're not sure what's going on over there, but they want us there as soon as possible," Aunt Linda responded. As that answer left her mouth, Parker froze to the spot. She breathed in a deep breath as fear overtook her.