33. Succubus

**This chapter contains violence and mature subject matter.**

Afterlife - Hailee Steinfield 🎶

🎶

Athena

9 hours.

9 hours was all it took for me to lose it.

I sat on the couch in the same familiar spot I had been in just the days prior. But now instead of staring into a hole in the wall, I'm left with my best friends smiling face taunting back at me through a frame.

Jimin and I spent all night long either with the police or driving all over the city to search for her.  The cops told us, they couldn't classify her as missing person yet, but I knew she was. I knew someone had taken her. The guilt swarmed me, looking for a reason, any reason to take over me completely.

I didn't sleep for a second, since finding out she was gone. I needed to hear her laugh, her loudness filling the room. My heart clenched tight at the thought of never hearing her voice again. My eyes burned as hot tears fell silently down my skin, feeling them hit the top of my hands made me realize how hard I was clenching them.

So much had happened in the last few weeks, that I haven't even had a chance to process the fact that my ex boyfriend was currently standing in my kitchen. Making fresh coffee, and scrolling through his emails. His skin fell pale to the natural sun peeking in through my curtains, as his brows furrowed in concentration.

How did I get here? How did we get here?

I stared at him silently, feeling empty, but also like I was oddly at peace with him around. That's how I knew I had officially gone crazy, to be feeling calm knowing that a murderer was present and making me a bagel.

I heard the spoon hit the side of the cup and flinched. Bringing me out of my deafening silence and mind as I watched him carry everything to me and set it down on our newly bought coffee table. The knots in the light wood, intertwining with the grooves and perfect complexion of one that screamed out "We never use this." Had me now full blown sobbing.

"Hey! Hey." Jimin said as he got up and came to sit beside me, rubbing his warm hand down my back in slow circles.

I felt my body stiffen up and I winced again at his touch. Too familiar, too fucked up. I pushed him off me and slid over to the end to get away. "I'm fine." I croaked out. Silence.

"Really, I'm fine."

I wouldn't meet his eyes, I couldn't. I couldn't see all the emotions in them, not when I could barely keep mine together. This was such a mistake.

"You have to eat something, it's been hours."

I didn't say anything as I looked off to the side, avoiding him altogether. Not knowing nor trusting myself to keep my thoughts at bay. I knew he was just trying to help, it's all he ever did.