15. Truth Hurts

**Trigger Warning**

This chapter contains violence and mature subject matter.

⚠️

You say - Lauren Daigle🎶

🎶

Athena

I groaned as I turned myself over, feeling around me expecting a warm bed. But was met with cold and wet earth as I opened my swollen eyes. "What the hell?" I croaked out, looking around to see where I was. Surrounded by the endless blue again, but this time it was packed with people. Families laughing and their kids playing, splashing around the water.
I sat up and rubbed the sand off my arms, and squinted at the bright warmth hitting my face. "How the fuck did I end up here?"

I brought my legs up, and laid my cold cheek to my knee and inhaled deeply. Taking in the scent of the water and earth around me. "I must have been taken again." I thought as I shook my head. "What now!" I looked up at the sky and rolled my eyes.

You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but I wasn't. My stomach churned at the thought of who I'd see this time. I don't know if I could be okay if I saw my parents or Julia again.  Maybe I wasn't taken? Maybe I was just dreaming? Every other time, I've been alone here. What are all these people doing here?

I lifted my face up and looked around at the people who weren't even noticing me. Was I alive? I shuddered at the thought of being dead. But in reality, would it have been the worst result? The pain of living with your bones breaking any chance they got was torture.
I went to stand up when a frisbee hit the side of my foot. I smiled and picked it up, looking up at a younger woman standing in front of me casting a shadow against the sun.

She was breathtaking, with her long chestnut brown wavy hair, deep hazel eyes and an angelic smile. She had dark denim jean shorts on with a tank top that said "Angel."

"How fitting." I thought as I smiled back.

"Sorry! We got a little carried away there!"

'So I guess they can see me.'

"That's okay, I was just getting up to leave anyway. Here." I said as I passed it back to her. Her fingers grazed mine zapping a shock up my arm, as I saw an instant flash of her past. A picture of her laughing with her head back, and a hand placed on hers, a man's. She looked so happy.

"I-I am sorry if I shocked you, probably just static from sitting."

I smiled as I started to walk away, crossing my arms over my chest. Not hearing her say anything back, I just ignored it and kept going. Walking alone with the tide, as my feet sank into the wet sand. I stopped and looked out at the water again, hearing light whispers echo into my mind from my sisters before me. "I'm here, I'm here and ready to know what I need to."