Chapter 34: Legacy of Wolves

---

"To win, but not destroy; to conquer, but not humiliate: That is what true conquest is!"

- Rider: Alexander the Great, (Fate/Zero)

---

<(Omniscient POV)>

"We are being slowly surrounded. There are too many of these wolf-people for us to kill. I understand that these are just mindless brainwashed clones according to Zoya but killing so many of them is still... unsettling. It's like we are the animals here. Also, where is Atem? I thought he said that he said that he would give us support while we took care of the army." Laura said as she looked around for the New God with confusion etched on her face.

"He said that he would give us 'emotional' support kid. That's a bit different from the support you are expecting. So no, he isn't gonna be of much help, at least not until he thinks that we really need it. He is basically just here to see our combat powers and only help in case of a worst-case scenario." Logan clarified as he went loose on the scrawny 'humanoid wolf' in front of him.

"Goddamn it. I should have known. I should have figured something was wrong the moment Atem gave that sarcastic smile at Hank after he mentioned that he wasn't a wolf and that Atem should consider changing the name of the squad." Laura lamented as she looked at the faraway hill where she last saw Atem standing.

"Let me show you, Atem, how strong I have become. I trust in your guidance and protection, and I fear nothing as long as you are watching over me, not even death itself..." She muttered to herself.

"Umm, actually, he is no longer here. He went to the castle about ten minutes ago. So, he is not really watching over you right now. I just didn't say anything because I thought everyone noticed that with their developed senses." Remus interrupted Laura's heartfelt words as she continued her one-hit kill streak.

"... What?" Laura asked dumbfounded.

"Oh, you didn't sense it, kid? It seems that you still have to work on your senses a lot after we get back. I am sure a few months of sparring with me blindfolded in a forest will do wonders to fully develop your senses. Our claws might look good as bloody weapons of slaughter but it's really our regeneration and senses that help us win in a battle." Wolverine advised.

"You knew...?" Laura still wasn't completely out of shock as she got stabbed in her stomach by a wolfman's claws, something she immediately recovered from before using her own pair of claws to separate the being's head from its body.

"Actually, I sensed him leaving too. It was quite obvious with the sound of his red portal opening and all. But believe me, I do understand that mastering your senses at this age is tougher than it sounds. So, nobody will really judge you here." Hank McCoy, aka, the Beast also spoke while awkwardly raising his hand like he was giving an attendance or something.

He had been trying to make himself seem invisible by not speaking anything after he had embarrassed himself earlier by pointing out the name of the squad not exactly matching the theme of their powers as it was originally intended by Atem and had only been focusing on silently amputating all the artificial humanoid Wolves without attracting anyone's attention.

But hearing both Wolverine and Remus telling Laura about their advanced senses, he could not help but boast about his as well.

"I hate all of you... Anyway, where did Atem teleport to after leaving us fighting here? Also, where the hell is Domino?"

"..." All three of her teammates remained silent at that moment as they looked at each other and wondered how to inform Laura that Domino too had left sometime during the battle which all of them had also noticed except Laura herself who was too bloodthirsty to notice anything amidst her bloody slaughter of the lupine monsters.