Chapter 38

Calum

A few rays of sun light started to get into the room, bothering me in my sleep; I shifted my position in bed, turning around, seeking the warmth of my beloved girlfriend but all I felt was the cold mattress that gave the chills. I opened my eyes and looked around confused, not seeing May anywhere; I took a deep breath, sat on the bed and rubbed my eyes to wake up completely. I let my sight wonder that room, it felt weird to see it with so much light; lately every time I was there, the lights were off, pitch black.

May and I got to a new routine since what happened with us on Ashton's birthday, involving wild nights in the dark and new rules that she came up with randomly. It's fun, of course it is, and it feels amazing; also after every round in which she's the one in charge, I can be the one leading and I always tend to make things softer, more romantic and loving, because I just need that intimacy. The bad part of all this is the feeling of emptiness after everything is done, when we go to sleep and I don't feel like I just made love with my girlfriend but instead just had sex with any girl. Again, what happens between us is always mind-blowing, I swear, I don't think there'll be anyone capable of making me feel as good as she does, but it's weird to be like that with her. I'm not gonna complain, though, I know she's going through some rough shit and if this is her way of copping, what am I supposed to do? Say no? I'd be literally crazy if I denied a night with that goddess, even if I can't turn on the lights and see her enjoying herself.

I'm a very loving guy, I've always been, and I like to show it, but my lover isn't and I gotta work with that, she's not big in cheesiness and lovy-dovy shit, she's more independent and likes to do things her way, show her love towards me with little things, quality time, while I show it with words of affirmation and physical touch. We've got different love languages but I think they get along pretty well, at least has been working well for three months.

After all the drowsiness from just waking up wore out of me, I stood up from the bed, decided to go downstairs to look for May. Since the moment I've opened my eyes, I had the feeling that I was forgetting something. Until the realisation hit me the second I saw all the blue and pink decorations that were all over the house: today is Hayley's baby shower. And her birthday. Who had to organise all that? Of course my girlfriend, who else could've done it instead? Oh, and who had to offer her house to do it all because it's bigger and it has a beautiful garden where everyone can hang out? Right. Moon. It really pisses me off that she has to be the one in charge of everything because it caused her a lot of anxiety, she's been having nightmares again and you just can tell she's stressed about all this bullshit. At least she didn't have to be the one paying it, I would've been really mad if she had to.

-Morning, Calum.

Suddenly a voice said from behind me, freezing my blood instantly. The only thing I could think in that moment was that I was shirtless, had tracksuit pants on, but nothing on top. Dammit, why Moon didn't warn me her father was coming?

-Morning, Mister Ross. I'm sorry, I didn't know you were here... -I said, a little ashamed.

-Don't worry, I didn't know you were here either. Want some coffee?

I nodded and walked towards him, to the kitchen, while he took a mug and served me a coffee. I focused on him for a moment, Jason was a really handsome man, also pretty young, I don't think he's even forty, yet his hair was mostly gray, his expression severe and serious and his way of living resembled the one from a fifty year old wealthy business man. It's like he was forced to mature, like it was his only option. He had his back at me as did his things, but it was the first time I saw him wearing something else than a shirt and a blazer; he had a black polo shirt on, and definitely worked out in some way, a man cannot be that in shape from just sitting on a computer all day.