"No...take some more from my plate. Whatever you like," Indra pushed his plate towards her.

After a lot of insistence, Vara realized he was not going to back out, and she was hungry. She sheepishly picked up a gulab jamun from his plate.

He waved off eating his own food. "Take it. I don't like sweets much."

Vara had underestimated her own hunger. After a while, she had taken salad and curd from his plate, while transferring some of the food like sabji and roti to his plate. Throughout, she made sure not to touch the non-veg food on his plate. In that moment, she almost forgot that the person sitting beside her was not her sister or father, but the dangerous-looking man who scared her.

Vara had this habit of sharing food with Tarini. Whatever she didn't want to eat, she would transfer it to her father's or sister's plate. She had picked up this habit in childhood, never eating a lot of food at once. She always preferred eating small bites of food with a few hours of gap time in between. Her Nana and Baba disapproved of this habit, expecting her to finish her food like an adult considering she was an adult now...

Indra was once again gazing at her in awe. 'Who would have thought that sharing food could be so satisfying?' He had never experienced this with anyone before.

"Aapko jyada toh nahi na ho raha?" Vara asked, shocked to find his plate almost empty.
("You're not feeling too full, are you?")

Indrajeet grinned at her. "Not at all. If you don't want that, I will have some..." He pointed at the biryani on her plate.

"Yes...sure," she replied, trying to hide her astonished expression.

'Bapre, Kay bakasura sarkha khat ahe ha manus?' she thought, still reeling from the shock of his huge appetite. ("Oh god, he's literally eating like a Bakasura.")

Indrajeet kept looking at her while eating his food. She looked like a fairy with all the flower hairstyles. She had removed her flower tiara on the way, yet she still attracted looks from the nearby crowd. They were sitting out in the open on a jute cot

 They were sitting out in the open on a jute cot

*****

Suddenly, a huge crowd entered the dhaba. Indrajeet tensed. He felt Vara moving closer to him. To his relief, it turned out to be a wedding procession heading to the nearby village. The crowd was making loud jokes and poking fun at each other. Suddenly, a few girls noticed Vara's hairstyle and started questioning her...

In the next five minutes, they found themselves surrounded by a small crowd. A few men were trying to engage Indrajeet in conversation about the weather, traffic, and whatnot. Indrajeet replied in monosyllables. He enjoyed the feeling of Vara sitting close to his side, scared of all the attention, seeking protection from him. Though there was no need for protection, it stirred some primal instincts in him. In those moments, Indrajeet couldn't shake off the primal urge to shield her from the world's gaze. It was as if an instinctive need to safeguard her had awoken within him, heightening his awareness of her presence and his protective instincts. Discreetly, he kept a hand behind her on the cot.