54. Straighten Your Child

Surprisingly, I was up before Elijah. I took a shower and put on some coffee, thinking about our plans for the day. I was sure my parents didn't know I was here yet, so I wanted to take full advantage of their noticeable absence. I decided to order breakfast to get ahead of the hotel's morning foot traffic. After checking the time, I knew Stacey wasn't going to be up for another hour. She loved sleeping in during vacations.

"Morning, bunny," Elijah murmured, walking behind me on his way to the bathroom. He pressed his body against mine, nuzzling his nose into my neck as he wrapped his arms around my waist. "Smells good in here. Have you had breakfast?"

"Just ordered some," I said. "Are you feeling better? You were a little out of it last night."

"Was I now?"

"Mhm. Do you usually drink during a vacation?"

"...Yes."

"Ah, that explains a lot." I kissed his arm. "Go do what you have to do before breakfast is here. If you're slow, Stacey might join us and eat everything. She's a monster in the morning."

Elijah chuckled and stepped away, disappearing into the bathroom. I busied myself with finding something to wear for the day, trying to decide between modest or more revealing. The truth was, I was hoping to run into Jack. If he hadn't chosen to book an expensive room on Jekyll Island. If he saw me happy, then maybe he would admit how he missed a real chance with me.

After breakfast had arrived, I was surprised to receive a text from Stacey. She explained that she'd gone on a run with Maison and met up with LeAnn and Anders. I was a little jealous, but they hadn't seen each other in forever either. She was currently trapped downstairs with my parents and few of my extended family. I had to remind her she didn't have to be there, but she insisted on staying for LeAnn. I admired her for that.

"Any plans for today?" Elijah asked. "I can think up a few things to do."

"Going to another city?" I asked. "There ain't nothing to do here."

"Ain't?"

"What? That's how I talk."

"You don't speak like that to me."

"I just did, didn't I?" I smiled. "Leave me alone. I was thinking we could go out with my sister and her husband. Maybe find something to get into."

Elijah seemed amused. "And what about your parents? Aren't they going to be upset if they find out you'd rather spend time with--"

"They'll be fine," I assured him. "It's not like they don't have an entire week to make my life hell."

Elijah laughed, shaking his head. "Alright, alright. I'm sure they won't mind. We can go out with your sister and her husband. Maybe we'll all have a good time."

We would.

After finishing breakfast, Elijah and I decided to head out. Maison texted, saying we should just head to Florida and find something to do. I did everything I could not to agree for the entire group. I was willing to go to Florida and waste two hours driving there and back. It was better than being here. Yes, Georgia was my home state, but there was nothing to do right now.

Not in Brunswick anyway.

I finally found a nice white dress to change into, and we headed out. I wasn't expecting my parents to be standing right outside our door. Mama smiled like she was glad to see me. I was sure she would rather be with Ana or Drake. I glanced at Elijah, but he was looking at his phone.

 I glanced at Elijah, but he was looking at his phone