35. Todd Chambers

I sat at my desk and sighed. I'd finally gotten to speak with our next client and relayed his message back to Mr. Whitlock's father. He wasn't happy that I'd taken so long, but it is what it is. Not everyone can get what they want. Since I had taken so long, he asked me to write up a report on what I wanted to do with the house. I hadn't even seen the entire property yet. Honestly, I want to quit, but I can't let him get to me.

Todd had called earlier today to ask if I really wanted to go somewhere with him. I don't know why we wouldn't go out? We've been neighbors for I don't know how long and we've never once met up with each other. We told ourselves we'd never meet up outside of work. Besides being at our boss's home for the holidays, those were the only other times we would see each other.

He claimed he'd made plans with a friend of his, but she'd canceled at the last minute. I guess I can be her replacement. It's not like I have anything else to do. Sebastian doesn't return home for another day or two. What he doesn't know won't kill him. Plus, he already knows Todd and I would never get together. That'll be the day the world ends.

I decided I wasn't going to finish the report and made my way upstairs to get dressed. It's not like he wanted the report to be handed to him today. Unless he did. Then, I really don't care. It's not like he can actually convince his son to fire me. No one likes him enough to actually take him seriously.

I didn't waste much time, knowing Todd would be here any minute to pick me up. I chose a turtleneck dress and a pair of knee high boots. That's as formal as I can get for a date that's not a date, but I kind of want it to be a date. I grabbed my phone off the charger and grabbed an overcoat from my closet. It would deal with most of the wind.

 It would deal with most of the wind

My doorbell rang just in time. I all but flew down the stairs to open the door. Couldn't have him thinking I'm desperate for a date. I'm really not. It's been a few days since Christmas. I'm just desperate for someone's attention.

"Hey," I greeted him breathlessly. "How are you?"

"I'm good." He smiled. "You look nice."

"Same to you."

Well, this is a little awkward

Well, this is a little awkward. I locked the door and stepped outside. Todd watched all of this in silence. He only said something when he opened his car door for me, telling me to watch my head. I don't exactly envy the woman he marries, but she's gonna be one lucky gal. It's hard finding the right guy these days.