49. Just What I Needed

"Welcome to the Sanctuary," the attendant said, leading me to a changing room. The room was warm and inviting, with soft music playing in the background. "Once you get changed, head to the relaxation lounge. Your first treatment is already scheduled."

I didn't waste any time changing into a plush, white robe and slippers, feeling a sense of peace wash over me as I walked down the hallway. The scent of lavender and eucalyptus filled the air, and the walls were adorned with paintings of serene landscapes. The relaxation lounge was a sanctuary within itself, with comfortable lounge chairs arranged around a fireplace and a waterfall fountain. Soft music played in the background, creating a calming ambiance.

I sank into a chair, feeling the weight of the world begin to lift from my shoulders. A waitress appeared with a tray of herbal teas and freshly baked cookies, and I couldn't help but smile. "The first treatment will begin shortly," she informed me, "but in the meantime, feel free to enjoy the lounge and get comfortable."

As I sipped my chamomile tea, I closed my eyes and listened to the soothing music. It was like being in a dream, a peaceful escape from reality. My thoughts drifted, and I imagined what the treatment would be like. Would it be a massage? A facial? Or something entirely different? I didn't care, I was simply enjoying the moment.

Time seemed to slow down, and before I knew it, a gentle hand on my shoulder announced that it was time for my massage. Excitement and anticipation filled me as I followed the attendant down the hallway. My heart raced as I entered the treatment room, with its warm, inviting atmosphere and a table covered in a plush blanket and soft pillows.

The therapist introduced herself as Lily, and she had a warm, calming presence about her. "Today," she said, "I'll be giving you a full-body aromatherapy massage using essential oils that will help to promote relaxation and well-being." As she began to work her magic on my tense muscles, I felt myself melting into the table. But the silence was short-lived.

"I thought I recognized you," an unfamiliar voice said. I turned my head to see a woman on the table next to me. We locked eyes for a moment, and I felt a shiver run down my spine. "Sorry about interrupting your massage, but it's nice to see a familiar face around here. It's mostly rich mothers and stuck up madams."

I chuckled, trying to ignore the feeling of unease that crept up my spine. "Yeah, well, the city is full of them. Kinda of hard to avoid them in places like these."

"Tell me about it," the woman sighed, wincing as her masseuse kneaded a muscle in her back. "My husband thinks this is a waste of money. He says I should just hire a maid or something."

"Well, I'm sure he'll change his tune when you come back looking and feeling this good," I offered. The woman turned to look at me again, her eyes narrowing slightly.

"You know, I was lying when I said I recognized you, but now...you really do look a bit familiar," she said, her tone now laced with suspicion. "Have we met before?"

I frowned. I hadn't seen her before in my life. If we've met at some point, it must have been through an open house or company event. Something like that. I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable by lying, but I didn't want to admit that I didn't know her either.

"Maybe. I work with a lot of people," I said.

The woman studied me for a moment before nodding. "Yeah, maybe. I do get around a lot. Well, I let you enjoy the rest of your massage."

As the woman's masseuse continued to work on her, I couldn't shake the feeling that something about her was...off. Maybe it was just the way she looked at me, or the way she spoke. I tried to push the thought aside and focus on enjoying my own massage, but her words kept nagging at the back of my mind.