He informed Vara that his people would help her husband and treat him. In fact, the vomiting was helping them remove the infection from his body. Vara wanted to correct his wrong assumption about husband, but she kept quiet..."

All the people were looking at Vara with curiosity, and understandably so; she was dressed in jeans and a top, soaked and covered from head to toe in mud. The women in the village wore cotton sarees without blouses, adorned with lots of flowers. On the other hand, the men wore half-cotton dhotis reaching their knees, with no clothing on their upper bodies.

She was taken back to the hut where Indrajeet was being kept. He was still unconscious, his torso filled with numerous leafs and paste, and his vomit cleaned up. She was relieved to find him dressed in a cotton dhoti like the men from the village. The man treating him covered Indrajeet with another cotton sheet, exchanged words with the lady in their language, and then left.

The lady spoke to her in broken Hindi, conveying that it would take some time for Indra to regain consciousness. Then, the lady handed her a clothes basket containing Indra's clothes. Vara was led to a large water pond. Through a combination of broken hindi and after another round of damsharas (dumb charades), Vara understood that she was expected to clean the clothes and take a bath...

Only Vara was not ready to bathe out in the open. The lady was not paying no heed to her protests...They were joined by some giggling women...much to Vara's horror, as it seemed they had also come to bathe. The girls pushed her into the hut where she was made to wear a white cotton saree, at least sparing her from being completely unclothed. After some time, Vara realized that none of the men were venturing near the pond, which made her relax a little. The girls kept petting her hair and examining her earrings and the clothes she was washing, seemingly fascinated by her. They continuously asked the lady to translate their questions, and Vara made sure to answer whatever she could.

 They continuously asked the lady to translate their questions, and Vara made sure to answer whatever she could

Vara had only seen this kind of communal bath in old movies, never in real life. Even in her own village, young boys wouldn't mind taking a dip in the open, but it was definitely not acceptable for ladies. She hadn't been to many beaches, aside from their own.

Somehow, Vara managed to clean the mud and blood from her and Indra's clothes by washing them. His vest was burnt, and his jacket was lost during the attack. Luckily, his shirt was tied around his waist, so it was saved. She blushed when she noticed his underwear included in the basket, but without touching it, she cleaned his other clothes...

At the end of the ordeal, she was famished. The ladies provided her with lots of fruits. She took the clothes inside the hut and hung them on the available rope to dry. After all of this torture, she hoped that they would manage to reach home safely...

*****

"Indra ji..." He sat up with a gasp, experiencing the same vision once again...

'Where is Vara? Where am I? Why am I half-naked? What is this paste? Why am I on the floor?' The answer to his first question lay near his feet. Vara was sleeping, with her head resting on her knees. She looked serene in that red saree, with a cloth tied like a tube top around her breasts instead of a blouse....his mouth felt dry looking at her delicate neck and shoulders inviting him to....But why is she wearing this type of clothing...