CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT- This is serious

Anakin was still having his nightmares. Worse, even. As I lay peaceful in my bed, soothed by the soft silky covers, he seemed to be in hell. I tried to sleep, but after hearing him mumble for help in his dreams, I decided it might've been best If I stayed up. Just in case. Of course...

I watched as my friend slept restless in the bed beside me, his breathing still heavy and frantic. The sound of the soft rain drops outside was calming, and yet... Anakin's restless breathing was unnerving. It was a little unsettling to see him in such a state, his body moving in response to something unseen.

I faintly wondered if I should've woken him up.

And yet...I could never bring myself to do it. I watched him, my eyes wide and alert, unable to close my eyes for fear of something terrible happening. Every motion, every breath, every blink of his eyes, everything he did I watched with a keen sense of awareness. I couldn't bring myself to look away.

Anakin's eyes opened quickly, quicker than last time. How long had he been having nightmares like this? It couldn't have been too long, he always seemed so well rested, nowadays he just looked drowsy. Never any less confident, but more tired.

I watched every flicker of his eyes, every twitch and every spasm, unable to look away. I felt a hint of concern, his face was flushed, sweat dripping down his eyebrows. It was hard to see my friend like this, to watch as he struggled so much while all I could do was watch. I wanted to reach out and reassure him, to soothe his pain and make him feel safe and cozy again. And yet...I knew that it wouldn't be that easy.

Not like last time.

He swallowed hard and reluctantly sat up, cradling his head in his hands. It was late. Incredibly late. Morning would arrive in a few short hours...

Anakin's eyes fluttered, he tried to steady himself, but his vision was still spinning and his stomach was wrenching. I could tell by the way his muscles tensed and his eyes slowly squeezed.

His lips were a trembling. He tried to suppress a groan of pain, and yet the sound was palpable in the air. With all his strength, he struggled against the nightmares that threatened to consume him. Even the dim light in the bedroom seemed to be too much for him, he clutched his forehead tightly, trying to steady his breathing.

"Ani?" I questioned softly, moving the covers off my pajama short clad legs, sitting on the edge of my bed as I looked at him in his.

He flinched as my voice broke the quiet and snapped him back to reality, his lips still trembling. He sighed, his breath still shallow and erratic. He tried to answer, but the words caught in his throat, his eyes filling with silent tears of pain and grief. My legs moved on their own. My friend was in serious turmoil, and as a fellow Jedi I took his health seriously.

I sat beside him in his bed, my arm wrapping around his shoulder as my hand stroked his back easing the restlessness he exuded.

"You having nightmares again?" I asked quietly, my hand pausing on his back. I looked at him with an air of quiet concern.

He nodded, unable to speak. His pride threatened him. I could tell he was embarrassed. Anakin Skywalker never took to being seen in states such as this, and I'd only seen him CRY a handful of times.

"Yeah. I'm sorry." Anakin looked away quickly, a small tear still dropping on his cheek. He was trying to contain his shame, but I saw him well up with a small sob of grief. I gently cupped his face and wiped his tear away, his face flushed with a mixture of humiliation and grief. I could tell the dreams hadn't been pleasant.

"Don't be sorry." I ordered, narrowing my brows and shaking my head, ignoring the way my curls tickled my neck.

"It's nothing..." he murmured, his voice cracking with emotion. I felt a lump in my throat, seeing how much he was struggling emotionally. It wasn't nothing. I could see the pain in his eyes. I needed to take care of him, and take care of him properly.