CHAPTER EIGHTEEN- Bounty Hunter Chase

Eventually Padme finished packing and sent Anakin and I from her room, saying that she just wanted to go to bed, and after everything she'd been through the last few days---I didn't really blame her. I walked out of the room first with Ani following behind me and closing the door.

Obi-wan was waiting in the other room, ensuring nobody came in through the main door or windows, though once he heard us he turned to face us, "Did the senator get tired of you two?" He asked in deep sarcasm, giving a half roll of his beautiful blue eyes.

Anakin nodded, "I don't think she was a fan of me watching her." He admitted reluctantly.

I snorted, "Oh yeah, because what girl doesn't mind some weirdo watching them while they sleep." While my words were a mere tease, it was absolutely hilarious the shade of pink that tinged his tan face, creeping around the center of his face and ears.

"It's for her protection." He insisted, "Padme is like a good friend to me, or an older sister."

I couldn't help but laugh, "Oh sure, that's what all the ladies love," I teased.

"She *is* like a sister to me," Anakin huffed, "Don't compare me to some creep you'd run into in an alleyway."

As funny as it was seeing him agitated, I couldn't really do anything but smirk, "Well, she trusts you, so I guess that means something."

"Are you two done flirting?" Obi-wan inquired, his hand covering his mouth to hide a chuckle.

"Almost." I giggled.

"Yes." Anakin huffed.

Obi-wan glanced between the boy from Tatooine and I before smiling softly and shaking his head, "Good, because I've been thinking about this mission, I was thinking perhaps this was an inside attack from the Senate, but then I realized that makes no sense. Perhaps it's the separatists eager to keep Senator Amidala's mouth shut...." He mulled aloud, very serious and thoughtful.

"I've never believed in coincidence." Anakin pointed out, raising his hands in explanation. "With that said, you think this is something more insidious?"

"You might be right, there are many reasons someone might want her out of the picture." Obi-wan said with a thoughtful nod.

"Well, she's quite beloved by the people, isn't she?" I ventured, "I can't see why any senator would want their favor taken away."

"They might not realize that." Obi-wan replied, "Most politicians aren't the smartest."

Anakin smirked and crossed his arms, "That's why I'll never be in politics. I prefer protecting the people on the ground, not in the court room."

"I suppose that's why I always preferred the battlefield to the senate chambers," Obi-wan said in agreement, smiling softly.

"Perhaps one day you'll feel different, and decide to get more involved." I piped up with a chuckle, "You'd make a good senator."

The young Padawan boy looked out the window then back at me, "If that's supposed to be a compliment, I don't want to hear it," Anakin snorted, the corners of his lips turning up in an amused grin.

"Oh come on, is it so wrong to be a decent person?" I laughed, teasing him mercilessly.

"Just because you like battles more than politics, doesn't mean you aren't capable of doing good for others." Obi-wan chimed in, his voice filled with wisdom and compassion.

"Back to the Senator, please." Anakin laughed, pacing around and shaking his head at me and his gratuitous Master, "The sooner we figure out who tried to take Padme's life, the sooner she can return to normal life."