Epilogue

Following Parker and Bailey's fantastical, romantic getaway, they concluded it with a lovely walk in nature. As they traversed hand in hand along the winding nature trail, the rustling leaves overhead provided a soothing soundtrack to their conversations. The speckled sunlight filtered through the dense canopy, casting warm glows on the vibrant foliage surrounding them. The air was filled with the sweet fragrance of trees and wildflowers; with every step, their love deepened amidst the serenity of the picturesque landscape. They captured plenty of photographs on their phones to ensure that day was always remembered and even had a few drawings.

Throughout those amazing days spent together, the couple made love numerous times and vowed to be each other's strength. Their connection and intense bond increased tenfold with recent intimate closeness. While at Parker's new house on their last day there, the lovebirds cooked a nice meal together, talked, laughed, and held one another as they fell asleep. Once awake the following morning, they packed their belongings, stopped for a nice breakfast, and began the drive back home.

At one point, on the way back, they spoke about how the time they spent meant to each other. Just having that time alone was the best feeling, and all they wanted was even more of that before actually returning home. Each subconsciously knew what would await them, and although both were excited to be with those they cared about... the thought of having more time for each other was most important... especially after everything they had gone through to finally be together.

With the decision to extend their route and enjoy more scenery, Bailey expressed her gratitude. Parker told her it was an easy choice—one that she happily reassured with a loving kiss. As they cruised down endless stretches of road, the open highway became a canvas for their shared adventure. The engine's hum rhythmically harmonized with the panoramic views unfolding before them—small, rolling hills, vast plains, and the changing colors of the sky as the day progressed to night.

With each passing mile, the journey itself became a metaphor for the boundless possibilities that lay ahead. Eventually, when Parker realized just how far she came from when she was abused, she thought about Brooklynn. She held no bitterness for that woman or any ill will either; instead, she confided in Bailey. Parker mentioned that she felt it was the right time to visit her ex and finally forgive her, which would allow her to let everything from that time in her life go.

The way Bailey promised to be beside her when she visited Brooklynn made her feel safe and protected. Parker wouldn't have had it any other way, and all that was left was to contact Shay and get the hospital information. Bailey didn't hesitate, and in fact, she called Parker's best friend. Not only was it better doing it that way since Parker was driving, but Bailey wanted to help in any way possible. When Shay said she'd meet them at the hospital in two days' time, they changed their route and proceeded in that direction in place of going home.

~

The moment Parker stood outside the door, she was rather reluctant to open it—she wasn't sure what exactly was stopping her. Shay was already in the room, standing in front of the door, blocking their view from seeing Parker's abuser. Bailey noticed her girlfriend's hesitation and, in an instant, was there to provide comfort by holding Parker's hand in hers. Bailey's action grabbed her attention, and they were soon distracted, looking into each other's eyes. Bailey merely spoke from the heart, telling Parker that once it was done, she'd feel a profound sense of liberation and inner peace that she didn't know she needed.

Bailey's words caused a couple of tears to slide down Parker's face, and she was there to wipe them away. They shared a kiss before the redhead was fully ready to walk through those doors. Upon entering, Shay stepped aside, and the couple knew she was there for protection. There was no way the police officer would allow Parker to be alone with someone who caused her as much harm as Brooklynn once did. It took the abuser a few minutes to actually realize who stood before her; when she finally recognized Parker, she was visibly shocked.

Brooklynn looked from Parker to Bailey a couple of times before she noticed how their fingers intertwined; the entire time, the room was silent. As soon as Brooklynn opened her mouth to speak, Parker interrupted her, simply saying she forgave her. It appeared that Brooklynn realized she didn't win after all, and everything she had done to Parker only seemed to make her a stronger version of herself. That once meek girl on the sidewalk who bumped into her wasn't the same woman standing before her.

Once Parker was ready and walked out of the room with Shay, she didn't care if Brooklynn needed to say anything. It wasn't about her; it was only about forgiveness. Bailey removed her attention from the paralyzed woman and watched as her family embraced each other. The smile on Bailey's face was nothing short of pure fondness, and she was utterly proud of what her angel had just done. Little did the best friends know that while they hugged, Bailey had a few words for Parker's abuser.

A piece of Bailey wanted to threaten the woman before her, but as she really took her in, she realized that no type of threat would truly benefit either of them. Instead, she took a few steps closer to Brooklynn, lowered her voice, and spoke to her like a human being. She told the black-haired woman that she, too, forgave her for everything she put the love of her life through. She admitted to wanting to hurt her, to threaten her, and to somehow cause her pain for everything she did, but... doing so would only tarnish all that her girlfriend stood for. Nothing was worth sacrificing such exemplary principles Parker lived by.

~

When Parker and Bailey finally returned home, it was terrific. They soon found out that Shay had everyone over for a surprise get-together at the same time they arrived. Bailey was not expecting to open the front door and get practically knocked over by Teresa; her facial expression during that moment made Parker crack up. The couple decided to put all their belongings away later that evening, and instead of doing that, they'd be present with all of their close friends—their family.

Parker was thankful that their large dinner table could be extended further because they surely needed more seats to fit everyone. It used to be able to seat her, Bailey, Shay, Devin, Teresa, and Emberly, but... Braylon and Lisa now needed their own spots at the table; they were family, after all, and it was the right thing to do. Before the night was over, Emberly set up her cell phone so that they could take a group picture; Shay wanted to update their plethora of photographs displayed everywhere.

~

They soon found out their new classes for the upcoming semester would begin within a month. Bailey had just about a year and a half left before she could graduate, and Parker was given three classes to teach this time around. The excitement between both women was unimaginable when they found out they shared two of their three scheduled courses together. Bailey also expressed her sheer joy to be taught by Delphine Ellis, her previous professor before Parker lovingly took over her class due to her pregnancy.

With everything that had happened with Parker, Bailey, and Victoria, Shay was given a promotion. Within the next month or so, Shay could take the promotional exam to become a detective. Devin was extremely happy for Shay but was also a little sad that she'd have to break in a brand-new partner. The best part about Shay's promotion was that she could stay in the same precinct but on a different floor. With how much Devin stays over, Parker and Bailey told Shay she might as well have her move-in—that they were ready to be one big-ass lesbian family.

~

Only time will tell what may happen in Parker and Bailey's future... Perhaps new career paths, marriage, and even children. At this point, anything is possible, and with each other's support and love, they are ready for whatever may lie ahead of them. Everything is all up in the air as they live each day to the fullest, being authentic, faithful, happy, honest, and, most of all, madly in love with one another.

All that is known and can never be forgotten; through the darkest moment came the unexpected turn that neither imagined possible.

Now, isn't that just life in a nutshell?