Chapter 3: Discontented

*Bailey's POV*

Another two kicks landed on my abdomen, then my chest. It started becoming problematic to breathe by this point. I squeezed my eyes shut, doing my very best to focus on ignoring the pain. I often don't know what sets Victoria off, and half of the time, I never see it coming before it's too late. I curled my body inward, trying to use my knees to block any additional incoming attacks, but I failed miserably. She lifted me by my hair, raising my face close to hers, "Fucking flinch at me again, and I will beat you until you're begging for death, you fucking slut. Try me; I dare you..."

Victoria shoved my head, face first, onto the ground, and it hurt so bad. I was sure she might have broken a bone with how loud the slam was. I didn't move; I couldn't... everything just hurt. I was fortunate enough that she didn't spend more than twenty minutes on me this time around. I'd call this my lucky day so far... great, isn't it? I need to move before she gets angry about something else... I don't know how much more I can take today.

Before I could get enough strength to lift my body, Victoria emerged from the hallway. She used all her momentum, and field goal kicked me in the head as she said, "Get the fuck up off the floor; your blood is making my house disgusting and dirty."

My body fell limp. Come on... Get up... You have to, Bailey... Focus, and MOVE!

Once I talked myself into moving, I slowly lifted my body from the floor, but... I soon realized I was not okay. My vision had become blurry, and I felt extremely dizzy. I've gotten kicked in the head too many times... I need to find my pain medicine and fast. Standing at my full height, I wobbled slightly and quickly balanced myself on the nearest table. After a few strained breaths, I continued on the current path leading to the bathroom.

I opened the cabinet underneath the sink and searched for anything to alleviate the horrible pain I was in. Every part of my body throbbed, ached, and burned, almost to the point where I felt like throwing up. I needed release. I needed something to help me. The increasing sound of footsteps alerted me. I stopped what I was doing and immediately sat on the toilet, pulling down my underwear in the process. I can't let her know what I'm doing. Play it off, Bailey... Be cool, calm, and collected.

"What are you doing in here?" Victoria asked as she barged into the restroom.

I grabbed some toilet paper, and with a neutral tone, I said, "I had to pee."

Instead of saying anything else, Victoria turned around and closed the door, leaving me alone for the first time in two days. Lying to her was often impossible because she would verify what I would tell her. I felt relieved when she didn't pull me off the toilet and check if I was indeed peeing. I was then able to close my eyes and not worry about her.

I took in a deep breath and let it out slowly. Finally.

I always looked forward to being lucky enough to have a few moments alone, though they were utterly rare. Part of me wanted to just stay in the restroom, lock the door, and be alone for the remainder of the day, but... I knew that would never bode well. If I were gone too long, she would come with a vengeance, and that was something I didn't want. It seemed my body actually needed to urinate, so I flushed the toilet when I was done.

After turning on the sink, I resumed my search for pain medication. I found what I was looking for and carefully pulled the makeshift envelope from its secret, tapped location under the sink. Then, I poured four capsules into my hand. I hastily put the meds in my mouth, cupped my hands, and used the sink water to swallow them. For the few seconds I had alone, I stared at myself in the mirror. The reflection I saw looking back at me felt like a stranger even though it was, in fact, me.