Chapter 1: Descend

*Parker's POV*

Before setting aside the recently graded canvas, I first notated the artwork scores and my critiques on a separate sheet of paper.

~

Jonathan Murphy,

Composition: 19/20
Color: 17/20
Technique: 16/20
Creativity: 17/20
Craftsmanship: 20/20
Total Score: 89/100

I want to congratulate you on your improved line work and, in addition, your vibrant use of color. By making the background monochromatic, the colors you have chosen act as your foreground, thus indicating where our eyes should follow. If you decide to create another similar work of art, I would like you to try using a medium that isn't merely composed of permanent markers. Imagine what could be achieved if you utilize texture as a supplemental form of visual detail. Keep in mind that texture can be anything—for example, acrylic paint or other poured mediums, sand, paper types, different sized brushes or sponges, even creating art with your fingers. I look forward to seeing your following composition, and excellent job.

Professor Avery

~

It was crucial that I expressed my thoughts on each of my student's work, moreover providing auxiliary feedback and positive criticisms to aid them. My ultimate purpose is for my scholars to succeed in life, primarily with their art and whatever is deemed imperative to them. If I can help, I want to and will do so. I compared the stacks of canvases before me, both graded and ungraded. By that quick observation, I easily noticed there was at least ten more students' art I must grade. I took a deep breath, sat back comfortably in my chair, and exhaled. I think right now is a perfect time for a break.

When I stood up from my desk, my right knee cracked with a rather loud pop sound. That bodily reaction indicated that I had undoubtedly remained stationary in my desk chair for far too long without a break. I slowly stretched my shoulders, arms, and neck before strolling out of my office and towards the porch. As soon as I opened the sliding glass door and stepped outside, the first thing I felt was the wind engulfing me. The second thing which was certain, my best friend was currently working out. Her heavy metal music was pumping away in the workout shed.

I took another deep calming breath in, and as I let it out, my surroundings encircled me with a sense of serenity. It always does. There must be a cold front because the air is cooler than it was a few days ago. The sun is warm, yet the breeze has a crisp coolness to it, and I can feel both simultaneously. Not to mention, something about this temperature combination is rather relaxing. It's perfect. I feel like I can sit out on the porch and paint the hours away. Honestly, if I had the time, I happily would. I wonder if it will get colder as the day changes to evening; in fact, I'm hoping it will.

I carefully glanced at the sky, noticing the early afternoon orange-colored rays that parted the clouds. The light shone brightly as it peered through the tall oak trees and lit the visible moisture on our green grass. The warm atmosphere surrounded me whilst the cool breeze brushed past my inked skin, producing goosebumps wherever it touched. I sighed and closed my eyes, thoroughly enjoying my break thus far. I duly favor how the sun brightens my hair; its typical darker red shade is tinted just enough to pass for almost auburn, only slightly.

I let my gaze wander from the sky over the garden that Shay and I started last year. This beautiful and colorful home garden consists of various plants like Wisterias, Bougainvilleas, Roses, Orchids, Cherry Blossoms, Sunflowers, and a few Wildflowers. I felt a sense of pride and happiness due to how well each plant has grown and thrived, even though the weather can be harsh at times. It's genuinely remarkable where we live, and it's fascinating how nature's beauty can make me feel a sense of peace within.