Chapter 19: Rearranged

*Parker's POV*

Upon my waking eyes, I was engulfed in brightness; the sun had beamed its way through the blinds. Even though it was early in the day, and most would be annoyed by the luscious luminosity, I, however, particularly enjoyed it. It was a pleasant reminder that a new day had begun, and I found myself eager to see if I had received any messages from Bailey. I reached across the pillows and blankets surrounding me, grabbed my cell phone, and quickly checked my notifications bar.

Six unread messages from her.

Immediately, I sat upright in bed and opened our text chat. Oh no... Since we started texting each other daily, I have yet to have this many from her. As I began reading each one, I noticed at what times she sent her messages.

Bailey: "I don't know what I did to anger Victoria tonight..."

Three hours ago.

Bailey: "I doubt I will be able to sleep at all... my body... everything just... hurts..."

Two hours ago.

Bailey: "I know you're asleep, and I'm so sorry to constantly spam you, but... it helps... you help. Somehow even just the thought of you does so much for me... knowing that you truly care for me and my well-being calms my mind. It keeps me from drowning in the dark thoughts that led me to meet you on the bridge in the first place..."

The more I read, the more panicked and worried I became.

Bailey: "I didn't mean how that could have sounded... I am thankful for meeting you... I just... Thank you for everything. You seem to be saving my life more than you realize, or maybe you do realize it. I'm rambling, I know..."

An hour and ten minutes ago.

Bailey: "I hope you're sleeping well."

Twenty-four minutes ago.

Bailey: "Parker, are you awake?"

I didn't hesitate when I read her last text message; I immediately typed a response.

Parker: "Hey, I just woke up and read your messages. Are you okay?"

Bailey: "No, I'm not. But knowing you're here now does help... Well, at least it helps me mentally."

I sighed softly.

Parker: "There's gotta' be more I can do. Talk to me. Can you tell me what happened last night?"

Bailey: "I want to, and I will, but I can't tell you now. Victoria has been watching me more since she woke up today. I don't want her taking my only means of communication with you away..."

Parker: "I understand. I'll bring extra pain medicine, bruise cream, and anything else I can think of that may help with whatever could have happened. Please be as safe as you can, Bailey. I'll see you in class."

Part of me was hoping to have received a reply from her, but... even as time passed, nothing came. I found myself continuously checking my phone to see if she was able to at least read my text, but again, nothing. I'd be lying if I said I was okay with this outcome. I was not, not in the slightest. My mind started to worry about all possible scenarios as to why she couldn't respond, let alone read it. However, I needed to focus and get myself ready for work.

I started by fixing my bed and using the restroom. Then, I spent the next hour showering, eating, cleaning, and packing the car with my supplies for the day. The drive was uneventful, and I was shocked when I arrived at my destination; I didn't remember much of the sights I had passed. It's like I was in a fog or something. I was early when I reached my first classroom, so I took my time getting everything ready.