Chapter 21: Awoken

*Shay's POV*

I was pulled from my sleep by something gently yet urgently shaking my shoulder and calling my name. When I opened my eyes and focused on her, I could see the distraught, worrisome expression across her face. Instantly, the fear in her eyes gave me an alertness I didn't know I could have, especially after waking up from a deep sleep. It was as if I had an espresso shot into my veins, and after quickly clearing my throat, I responded to her, "Parker, what happened?"

"It's Bailey... she called, and something's wrong... Her voice... she's not okay, and Victoria ended up on the phone, but I hung up... I didn't know what to say at the moment when she asked who I was, but... I know Bailey needs me... I have to... no... I need to go to her, Shay," My best friend rambled, trying her very best to summarize everything for me.

"Not alone, you won't. Let's go," I replied, and she just looked at me, shocked.

I know that look; she's surprised I can quickly join her without any further explanation or detail. Sometimes I think she might forget how well I know her and what she's thinking; contrary to popular belief, Parker can be very easy to read. This woman wears her heart on her sleeve for sure. Though, for me, everyone is actually like a damn children's book. All I have to do is be around people, and I know things about them; intentions, motives, and instincts, to name a few. What matters is my promise to Parker. I gave her my word that she won't have to deal with something traumatic without me ever again. I don't plan on breaking that promise.

Without saying another word to each other, I put a confident smile on my face and placed my hand on her shoulder. She took a quick, deep breath, and as I hopped out of bed, I added, "Go get the car ready, Parker. I'll be right out."

I knew we needed to leave; the sooner we get to Bailey and ensure all is good, the better. Since I was in just a sports bra and boxers, the first thing I needed to do was get dressed. I proceeded with that task by seizing a tank top out of my closet and putting it on; then, I did the same with some loose sweatpants. I grabbed my police badge as well as the safe key from my top drawer and then knelt by my bed.

I retrieved my gun safe, unlocked it, and took out my Sig Sauer P226. Most of my precinct favored the Glock 19, but as soon as I learned about mine, it was perfect for me. Not only does it have a larger capacity than its predecessors, with fifteen rounds as opposed to thirteen, but... it also has an ambidextrous catch and is particularly favorable by left-handed officers. Additionally, the extended barrel provides extra accuracy, which is fantastic. Even though I always make my shots count, so many factors can contribute to missed targets, so I love the fact that this gun has a better built-in targeting system.

With haste, I safely loaded a new magazine into the chamber and strapped the weapon into my concealed ankle holster. Before exiting my bedroom, I placed my badge around my neck, picked up my cell, and dialed my partner's number. After a ring and a half, her sleepy voice answered, saying, "Are we going to work early today?"

I smiled at her response before replying, "Yeah, you could say that. Parker received a call from Bailey; it didn't sound good, and Victoria was with her too. We're headed there now."

"I'm on my way. You better not go in there without me," Devin instantly responded.

"I wouldn't dream of it. See you soon," I said, and right as we hung up the call, I was locking the front door.

Not ten seconds later, I entered the vehicle and drove off to Victoria's house. Parker had already loaded the directions on Google Maps before we left. The ride was silent; I knew my best friend was trying to hold it together, and the closer we got, the more Parker's nerves got the best of her. Her left hand is constantly tapping her knee, and it's also slightly shaking. I released my right hand from the steering wheel and placed it on top of hers as I said, "It's going to be okay, Park."