Chapter 23: Flashback

*Parker's POV*

"What happened in your past?"

Deep down, I had a feeling that was a question she wanted to know, even from the first day we met. She wants and needs reassurance; to perceive how I can understand her so well. I'm glad Shay left because if she knew what we were going to talk about, she would get emotional, and I don't want to see her cry. To this day, my best friend still feels like it's her fault I got hurt so badly, which isn't the case.

She saved my life.

"It all started when Brooklynn Stone and I ran into each other... literally," I stated, and as my eyes closed, I vividly remembered everything.

~ SIX YEARS AGO ~

I was running extremely late for work; my alarm clock was unknowingly damaged, and I forgot to set an extra one on my phone. Damnit, I hope I don't get fired... My boss is always on my case for some reason, and my being late will only fuel the fire. I crossed the busy street once it was safe and rounded the corner, only to crash directly into someone, knocking the two of us to the ground. Oh, no, shit...

"I'm so sorry. Are you okay?" I asked frantically.

Without waiting for a reply, I hastily jumped up and held my hand to help the person I hit stand up. The attractive woman stood at least two to three inches taller than me at her full height. Immediately, I could tell she was checking me out, then she said, "I'm okay. What's your name?"

I observed her, noticing how her long, silky, pitch-black hair blew in the wind; it complemented her skin tone well. I gave her a small smile and replied, "My name is Parker, and you?"

"You can call me Brooklynn," She paused, kissing the back of my hand, then added, "Maybe after our first date, I'll let you know what my last name is," She finished with a large amount of cockiness.

Brooklynn continued to stare at me; she held a confident expression, and yet, somehow, it was sweet too, which made it rather alluring. I couldn't stop the blush from being produced on my cheeks. Once she finally let my hand go, I nervously brushed some hair behind my ear, unsure what to do. Suddenly, my phone ringing pulled me from the moment, and I saw that my boss was calling me.

My heart plummeted to my feet.

"Are you going to answer that, beautiful?" Brooklynn asked, smiling, and I hesitantly nodded my head as I picked up the dreadful call.

"Where the hell are you, Avery?" Joshua Victor screamed into my ear.

I had to literally pull the phone away with the volume at which he spoke; it made my head pound and ears ring. Once he was done, and I was actually able to respond, I said, "I know I'm late; there's no excuse, but I'll be arriving soo—"

"I don't give a flying fuck! Get your ass over here; we're slammed!!" He replied, cutting me off.

Brooklynn was watching the entire scene go down, and as I was about to say something else, she took the phone from my hand and began speaking for me, "Listen here. You can stop yelling. I am why Parker is late; I ran into her; she will be there soon. Just calm the fuck down."

Then, she hung up.

If I was worried before, I'm more scared now... I need this job to pay for my small apartment. I only just graduated a few months ago, and I'm still waiting for my big break as a painter or teacher. I sent in many applications, and now it's the waiting game. I need to get to work now.

When Brooklynn handed my phone back to me, she asked, "So, why do you work for that asshole?"

"I don't plan to work there for long, it's just a job to pay the rent," I quickly explained, and she nodded.