Chapter 25: Unrecognizable

*Bailey's POV*

Two weeks had gone by since Shay informed me about my parents, and as each day passed, my body healed. I could finally walk without help, wasn't as sore, and started noticing many of my bruises fading away. I also became a pro at cleaning my wound, which was pretty awesome. Not only was I slowly gaining weight, but my appetite had also fully returned. Eating whenever I wanted again was surreal; I couldn't be happier with that outcome. I'll never forget how skinny I was forced to be, and I won't allow that to happen again.

Safely staying in a positive, loving household helped my recovery significantly, both mentally and physically. I wonder what's going to happen with my living situation eventually... Will they let me stay here until I can find the money and resources to live independently? I'm sure I'll get my answers to those questions one day, but for now, I'm hungry. With that thought in mind, I exited my bedroom and walked into the kitchen, seeing that Parker was already cooking breakfast.

"Good morning, Bailey," She said, startling me slightly. How did she know I was here?

"How? I didn't even make a sound..." I asked, and her smile widened as she pointed to one of the art pieces hanging on the wall in front of her.

I walked closer to it, and as I got nearer, I noticed myself in the reflection of the picture frame. I laughed out loud a little and rambled, "Okay, that makes more sense because I was starting to think you had eyes behind your head, which is, of course, not possible and highly unlikely."

"Still convinced I have superpowers, huh?" She returned playfully, her smile never fading as she happily joked with me.

"My investigation pertaining to that subject is still underway, so yeah, I'm not ruling it out, at least not yet," I replied honestly and leaned on the counter, watching her cook the last pancake.

"If Shay could have heard you just now, she would be proud," Parker added, and I laughed when I realized how I sounded.

Haha, she has a point.

While she put two pancakes on each plate, I gathered the syrup from the pantry and placed it on the table. I asked what she wanted to drink, and she gave me her answer. So, I proceeded to pour two glasses of milk and set them down next to the maple syrup. I spent the next few moments washing the dishes; it was only fair of me since she cooked. A few minutes later, Parker carried two full plates of delicious food to the table. As I sat beside her, I asked, "Do you think Shay will still come with us even though she was called into work today?"

"She absolutely will. If there's a chance for Shay to defend those she cares about, she won't miss that opportunity for anything. Being able to use her authority is an added benefit to any situation, and she is well aware of that; plus, she enjoys it too. She's a protective one, as I'm sure you've noticed already," My teacher explained, and I understood without any further details because Parker was right; I did notice how protective they both were.

Shay's not the only one.

"You are too, you know," I stated, causing Parker to look at me inquisitively; it made me smile. Then, I added, "You're also very protective, Professor Avery.

Her unmistakable chuckle was adorable, "You're right, Ms. Adams."

I'll never get tired of hearing her call me that.

Parker and I ate breakfast together, easily enjoying each other's company. We talked and laughed whenever it felt right, even when we were silent; it was wonderful. Once we were finished, we cleaned our plates and glasses, then sat in the living room, turning on the television. At some point, I received a text from Shay letting me know she should be getting home around the early afternoon, and if I wanted to, we could visit my parents. I responded, telling her I was ready to finally get some answers.