Chapter 18: Lesson

*Parker's POV*

Nearly an hour and twenty-five minutes passed while I got showered, dressed, and prepared for my two classes. By this time, Shay had already left for work because Devin picked her up at the crack of dawn, and I now searched for a quick bite to eat. My best friend texted me to have a nice day and that if I had the chance, I should tell Bailey about her. I couldn't help but roll my eyes playfully when she ended her message with a winky-smiley face.

Ever since the first time I stayed later and took Bailey home, Shay made arrangements with Devin so I could have the car. It was really nice of Shay to quickly think of that and confirm her idea with her partner. It's been two weeks since Bailey showed me what she goes through, and since then, I can confidently say we are getting closer each day. We text whenever possible and somehow always say good morning and good night to each other, which is lovely. I've only ever texted Shay on a daily basis, and having someone else aside from her makes me feel rather special.

After class, Bailey stays as planned, and we keep taking this perfect opportunity to get to know one another better. Since I found out that she barely eats food, I always make sure to have extra with me as well. Sometimes we are quiet, doing our own thing, and enjoying each other's company. She works on her homework assignments, and I prepare future lessons. We have developed a comfortable routine that we thoroughly appreciate; a safe place. We've learned about where we grew up, our favorite artists, colors, musicians, television shows, foods, and movies, just to name a few.

Last week sometime, Bailey began showing her more sarcastic side, replying to some of my questions or reactions with cheeky comments that left me smiling and her grinning. It's such a beautiful sight to behold. Seeing someone so close to ending her own life... who has now started to trust again, laugh, and remember who she was and what she has yet to become. I feel like my presence in her life makes all the difference in the world. My only concern is that until Bailey speaks to the authorities about what Victoria has done and continues to do to her, she won't be truly safe or happy. Our plan can only work for so long.

As for my classes, they've both been going swimmingly; most of my students are taking to the lessons well, and a few others still need some help. I'm happy when they reach out and allow me to aid in their confusion. Aside from that, I've subbed another time for the English class I previously helped with. Oh, and speaking about that, the air conditioner was fixed, but it took an extra day. Many teachers were pissed, and I don't blame them. Teaching in such a hot-ass building was very uncomfortable.

After I finished eating and washed my dishes, my phone dinged. As soon as I saw who it was from, I smiled.

Bailey: "Good morning, Professor Avery; I hope you are well."

Parker: "Top of the morning to you too, Ms. Adams. I am doing well; how about you?"

Bailey: "Eh, let's just say it has been a rough morning."

What is that supposed to mean?

Parker: "Are you okay? What did she do to you, if you don't mind me asking."

Bailey: "With you, I never mind, and um... well, Victoria got a new toy from Jewel. When I cried from the pain, she wasn't too happy with me and expressed such feelings wherever she could reach."

I took a deep breath as my chest frantically thrashed while reading her text. Breathe, Parker.

Parker: "Bailey, please tell me, are you okay?"

Bailey: "Yes, and... no. My mind is okay; I can't help but be used to this abuse. My body, however, hurts a lot. And to be honest, I just can't wait until after class today because you help make things better..."