Chapter 8: Tattoo

*Parker's POV*

As I turned my body over, resting flat on my stomach, I attempted to get myself comfortable again. However, I could hear some clanking as well as what sounded like running water from the kitchen sink. Determining such things roused me awake, even if it wasn't my intention in the first place. Though I remained in bed, I stretched thoroughly. When I checked my phone on the bedside table, I soon realized that I would have awoken shortly anyway. With that thought in mind, I finally decided to sit up completely.

"Shay's already awake, and by the smell, she's cooking breakfast too? Hmm... I wonder why—" I muttered, yet my words were suspended by the yawn that inevitably followed, cutting them off.

Knowing I wouldn't be going back to sleep, I got out of bed and leisurely fixed it. Afterward, I began figuring out what clothes I'd be wearing today. Eventually, I settled on my comfortable black jeans and whatever the first tank top my hand reached, pulling it from the closet. I gave everything a quick once over, and since I was content with my chosen attire, I headed into the restroom. I guess that's what happens when you're excited; everything comes together nicely and in a decent timeframe. I convened with my morning routine before hopping into the shower.

~

Even though I took my time showering, I was dressed and ready for the day ahead of me quicker than expected. I grabbed my phone from the nightstand, took out the charger cord, and opened the conversation between my tattoo artist and me. I gave Boris' design another look over and smiled warmly. Today I'm getting another tattoo. It's the last piece that will fit, filling my right arm's sleeve, and I can't wait. This is for you, Mom and Dad. I love you, and I miss you so very much.

With everything I have gone through, tattoos don't cause pain or hurt me. It's more of a relief because they cover my past that is visible on my skin. Every tattoo means something precious to me. It started with me not wanting others to see the hell I endured, but it has evolved into much more. When I look at myself, I am no longer reminded of my past. Instead, there's always a positive feeling. I hope, one day, to show someone, aside from Shay, my journey and the meaning behind each tattoo. They all mean so much to me; this has helped me heal by removing the negative with a positive; canceling the bad. Yeah, that's exactly it, and—

"Good morning, Parker!" Shay commented as soon as I walked into the kitchen, interrupting my thoughts with her cheerful voice. I smiled instantly, and before I could greet her, she continued, "Come, sit, eat! I made you a congratulatory breakfast."

"A congratulatory breakfast? How does that work? Did one of us get a promotion that we are unaware of or something?" I teased, and Shay playfully rolled her eyes at me.

"Your new class, duh!" Shay dramatically said and added, "Oh, and your new tattoo, too, of course! This is all cause for celebration if I do say so myself."

"Well, in that case, thanks is most indisputably in order," I declared and walked toward my best friend.

"Aww, Park! There's no need to thank—" Shay began to say, but when my arms engulfed her in a thankful hug, she cut herself off and returned it.

My best friend and I held each other for a little while longer, and when it was time to part from each other, we did. Then, together, we got settled at the kitchen table and began to eat. I took a piece of buttered toast first, and as I bit into it, I hungrily gazed at the food contents before me. My stomach grumbled; I had many options to choose from because she made french toast, maple bacon, scrambled eggs, and pancakes.

We must have been starving from hunger because the food didn't survive long; we quite literally devoured everything. Once I was done eating, I stood up from the table and grabbed our dishes before walking to the sink. I took the next fifteen minutes washing the dirty plates, skillets, cups, and stove. At some point, Shay moved to the living room and wrapped herself in the fleece blanket. When I finished, I found her almost dozing off, and I couldn't help but chuckle.