t w e n t y - t h r e e

PRE-DEBUT HYEJOO.

───────────────

OCTOBER 16TH, 2013.

"Yes, mom... I've been trying to work on it."

The two boys pressed their ears against Hyejoos door, listening to what she was saying over the phone. It was one in the morning, and she had been on the phone for nearly an hour.

"What do we do?" Jimin whispered over to Jungkook. The boy shrugged.

They had never met Hyejoos parents. In fact, none of the guys had. She didn't talk about them often, and when she did, it was to bring up a childhood story.

"When I turned the assignment in, it was only one class period late. It was turned in the same day but—"

"Did I raise you to turn in assignments late? Me and your father didn't send you to Korea so you could debut and start failing classes!"

"Mom, I'm trying! We're working on new music, and I've been studying a lot! The guys are really working around me and Jungkooks schedule. I'll bring my grades up, I promise!"

The phone was on speaker phone, and the boys could hear her mother sigh. They mouthed words to each other when it was silent, then stopped to listen whenever one of the females began to speak again.

"Hyejoo-ah. You're young, and you don't understand a lot of things. But you have to do well in school. You might be a great idol, but anything can happen, so you'll need a backup option. There have been lots of great lawyers who are good dancers, and singers who are doctors—"

"Goodnight, mom." The boys listened as she hung up, then heard her phone slam against her mattress. It became very silent, almost as if everything in the world had just fell still.

All of a sudden, the door flung open, revealing Hyejoo. She stood in the doorway, looking at the boys standing awkwardly in the hallway.

"What the hell? Were you guys snooping on my conversation?" She spat, looking from Jimin to Jungkook.

"N-Not snooping, just listening," Jungkook stumbled.

Jimin glared at him. "That's called snooping, you dumbfuck," He sighed.

In that moment, Hyejoo could not find the right words to say. She was mad at everyone in the world. She was mad at school. She was mad at being an idol. All she wanted was to be away from everything, and there was only one place where she could make that happen.

She rushed past the two guys, shoving Jimin in the process. They carefully followed behind as they watched her slide her shoes on, grab a sweater from off the floor, then run out of the dorm.