Chapter 30.5

Declan POV

The moon hung low in the night sky as our group stealthily navigated the dense forest, guided only by the occasional rustle of leaves and the hushed whispers among us. The air was thick with tension, and the urgency of our mission echoed in the determined expressions of my pack members.

As we ventured deeper into enemy territory, Joshua, Abel, and Alani, each with their unique skills, shared a quiet conversation about the strategic approach to confront Leonardo and rescue Lucille. We knew we had to be meticulous; any misstep could jeopardize the entire operation.

The moonlight revealed the determination in the eyes of the females and males from my pack, a mix of seasoned warriors and spirited young wolves. Their loyalty to Lucille and the unity among us formed an unspoken bond, pushing us forward with a shared purpose.

Not all my pack members were fond of her, but she had grown on a lot of them. Especially her baking skills. She would get my pack fat in the future.

Amid the trees, we encountered members of the Hardings pack, recognizable by the distinct markings on their fur. Their wolves were usually more brown and reddish. I had asked Lucille's father for aid in this mission, but he wasn't to join us. Lucille wouldn't accept it.

As we were getting closer, my growling started getting more vicious and aggressive. My wolf was out for blood and it wanted to bathe in our enemy's blood.

We took a small rest so the youngsters could catch their breath. Even in our wolf form, the cold wasn't making this trip easy. But we were driven to get our Luna.

Refreshed from a brief rest, we pressed on through the thick forest, our breath forming mist in the chilly air. The path to the campsite was treacherous, with twisted roots and uneven terrain testing the agility of every wolf in our party.

As we neared the campsite, the clearing revealed not only tents but more permanent structures. It seemed Leonardo's pack had established a stronghold in this wilderness, leaving an indelible mark on the landscape

Before advancing further, we split into smaller groups to scout the surroundings. The seasoned wolves assessed the terrain, while others attended to the younger pack members, ensuring they were ready for what lay ahead. My wolf, with a keen sense of alertness, took position at the tree line, overlooking the rival pack's activities.

Like this, it looked like an ordinary pack, but we had to keep in mind that they were all rogues. The only strange thing was some wolves rushing all into different directions, while others stayed behind and looked concerned.

I looked at my comrades and listened throughout the panic. I picked up different signals, but I received the message loud and clear.

"She has escaped!"

"Alpha has her trail!"

"We are ordered to follow and capture her at once!"

Joshua's mind linked me, he also had picked up the many distressed calls. 'I think our Luna already took matters into her own hands.'

'It seems like she escaped.' I replied to the mind link.

As we closed in on the campsite, our attention was drawn to two figures emerging from a large building. The moonlight illuminated their features, confirming our suspicions. Without hesitation, I surged forward, my wolf growling in unison with the pack behind me. The startled rogues in the vicinity gasped, realizing the imminent threat they had overlooked in their panic.

Belle and Geoff, frozen in the face of our approach, recognized the danger. Belle's eyes widened with a mix of relief and fear, while Geoff, not Lucille's friend by any means, attempted a show of defiance. He shifted, snapping at me in an attempt to assert dominance, but within moments, I had him pinned, rendering his attempted display futile.