Chapter 1 - Prologue - going rogue

Woohoo, new story alert! This story will have some dark ideas and I'm sure it will have some controversial themes but this is your warning beforehand. I don't like long-ass intros so this was it, enjoy!

...

...

The caged bird sings with a fearful trill, of things unknown, but longed for still. And her tune is heard on the distant hill, for the caged bird sings for freedom.

Has there ever been a moment in your life that you felt trapped in a cage? Life is good and all and you have food, water, shelter, and everything to survive and yet you don't feel free? I have that feeling daily and it is excruciating.

I haven't always been trapped though, there came a certain chapter in my life when I chose for myself and left my cage. I went into the outside world knowing very well the dangers. I want to take you on a journey about my story, and my growth.

It all started on my sixteenth birthday.

"For the love of God, Lucille, wear something nice!" My mother eyed me up and down. "You can't wear that for your birthday, sweetie!"

I rolled my eyes, Lucille. I'd rather she just call me Lucy. Today was my sixteenth birthday and as usual, when one turns sixteen, our shifts arrive. I could feel my insides begging me to allow myself to shift, but the tradition didn't let me.

As a werewolf our bodies could shift after the age of sixteen, it was like you had come of age and now was some sort of adult. There was a tradition though that any high-ranking wolf waits to shift until the full moon when a huge festivity was organized.

As luck would have it, the full moon was exactly on my birthday. "It's fine, mom, it's just a dress!" I tried arguing knowing it wouldn't get me anywhere. She as the Luna of our pack always looked neat and proper, she wore dresses and other feminine clothing. There wasn't a day that she looked bad.

My father was the Alpha of the Harding pack. Because of our title they have been very strict with me and my little brother though because I'm the eldest I just get to suffer more.

And as any good child, I just bear through it. As expected she changed me into a different dress. This one was white and reached the floor. It had an A-line figure and a flowery pattern on the top.

She braided my hair and did some sort of updo. She pulled some strands loose until she deemed me worthy. She even had me put on some light makeup, which I rarely wore. "You look so beautiful for the ceremony, my dear." She wiped away a tear as she held onto my shoulders. "I am so proud of you, sweetie."

I could feel the pressure lingering, quite literally. "Why is all this necessary, just let me shift and live my life. I think it is all too much." I couldn't help but snap at her, which earned me a squeeze on my shoulders.

"You do not have an opinion on this, it is tradition." She warned me with her eyes. "And you will follow the tradition, just like anyone else of our status, you don't get to choose, Lucille."

I rolled my eyes, we had this conversation so many times. I didn't act like the proper daughter in their eyes. Can't argue about that though. "I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself." I stood up and flicked her hands away.

"Lucille Hardings! Don't you make me get your father?" She snapped and this time I hang my head obediently. She was pissed now. "That is not how a young lady acts."

"I'm sorry," I muttered almost automatically. What could I do to her? It was my mother. And don't get me started on my father.

They just all expected too much from me. It made me anxious just thinking about it all. They want me to act proper and ladylike, to be smart and thoughtful, to become strong so I can take over from my aunt one day and become my brother's Beta.