𝟐𝟑. 𝐂𝐨𝐝𝐞 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤 (𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐄𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝)

Bella lay in bed. She was refusing to go into work. She didn't want to either. Knowing how she didn't want to see Derek. "I'm just not going," she said.

Izzie smiled. "You have to go to work. You're an intern. Saving lives is not optional."

"Yes, it is. I'm staying home. And you of all people need to not lecture me," Bella mumbled.

Izzie turned to look at George. "You're supposed to be helping."

George smiled to Bella. "Uh... Bella? Maybe there'll be a horrible accident nearby the hospital. Cut a bunch of people open. Sternotomies, craniotomies. That'd be fun, right?" He said.

He was in love with her. And he wanted her. He knew how Derek didn't deserve to have Bella being in love with him.

Bella rolled her eyes and sighed. "I don't care about surgeries."

Izzie turned to George and sighed. "Get Hannah. If she can pull herself off of Alex for a few moments," she said.

*****

Hannah walked into Bella's room. She looked to her. "You have a feeling?" She asked.

"Yes."

Hannah nodded. She looked to her. "Okay, what kind of feeling?"

Bella shrugged and sighed. "Like I might die."

"Today? Tomorrow? In 50 years? We're all going to die eventually. Now we're late! Let's go!"

Bella frowned as she looked to her. "Hannah. C'mon!"

"Okay. This is me being supportive. Keep in mind I had O'Malley walk in on me naked on top of your brother," Hannah said.

"Really?"

"Yeah, okay, fine, I'm totally supportive. Go."

Bella nodded and started ranting. "OK. The man I love has a wife and then he chooses her over me. And that wife takes my dog—OK, she didn't take the dog, I gave it to her, but I didn't mean to give it to her, I meant to give it to him—but that does not change the fact that she's got my McDreamy. And my McDog. She's got my McLife! And what have I got? You know, I can't remember the last time we kissed. 'Cause you never think the last time is the last time, you think there'll be more. You think you have forever, but you don't. Plus, my conditioner decided to stop working and I think I have brittle bones. I just-I just need something to happen. I need a sign that things are gonna change. I need a reason to go on. I need some hope. And in the absence of hope, I need to stay in bed and feel like I might die today," she said.

Hannah threw back the blanket. "Whatever - everybody has problems. Now get your ass out of bed and get to work. NOW! Move! Move! Move!" She said as she kicked Bella out of bed.

They opened the door to see George and Izzie there. Hannah smiled. "We're good to go," she said.

"What were you saying?"

"We're good to go."

****

Derek walked over to Bella who was stood with Hannah. He smiled to her. "You all right?" He asked.

Bella shrugged and sighed. "I have a feeling," she mumbled.

"I get those," Derek told her. He saw the way Hannah was looking at him.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

Bella sighed as she looked to him. "And?"

Derek smiled. He wanted to take her hand. "If you wait long enough, it passes."

"Promise?"

Derek nodded. "I promise."