Protective 2

Someone requested a part 2

Dua was in her office writing music. She was very far along in her pregnancy now. Her water could break at any moment.

I would check on her every two hours or so to make sure she had everything she needed.

I heard Dua yell my name and I ran to where she was.

Ever since she's been pregnant I've always been quick to be by her side.

"I think my water just broke" she said getting up. "Okay come on. Go sit on the couch I just have to grab the bag real quick."

I ushered her to the couch and ran up to our room to grab the bag that had everything.

Everything went so fast. Before I knew it we were in the hospital and Dua was ready to get the baby out.

"Y/n get the fucking baby out oh my gosh" she groaned. "Babe you gotta push so the baby can come out." "I'm pushing shut up" she said squeezing my hand so hard that I thought I heard it crack.

Dua was in labor for hours. But eventually we heard the cries of our baby boy.

Hours after Dua gave birth her and the baby were asleep. I couldn't fall asleep though. I was too scared to.

What if the baby started crying? What if Dua needed me? What if the baby wakes up in general? What if a random person walks in here? How will I be able to protect them if I'm asleep? What if I don't hear the baby cry and wake up? What if Dua feels like I'm not a good parent?

I don't know how long I've been up staring at them sleep. Yes it was creepy. But I can't stop worrying. They warn you about the sleepless nights because you have to tend to the baby but they don't tell you about the sleepless nights from worrying.

I don't know how long I was spaced out before I saw one of them stir awake. Dua had woke up.

"Y/n" she called rubbing her eyes. "Yes." "Can you grab me some water?" "Of course." I got up and quickly went to go get her some water not wasting any time.

"Why're you still up" she asked once I handed her the water. "I can't sleep." "If you want to go home for a few hours and sleep that's fine. I know you're uncomfortable moving between the chair and the bed."

"No I'm not leaving. I'll be fine. I want to make sure you and the baby are fine." "Y/n" she sighed "I can tell you're worried about something. What's wrong?" "Can we talk about it a little later? You just gave birth the last thing I want is for you to listen to me go on about something that's not even a problem." "Are you sure?" "Yes. You just gave birth. My problems are non existent right now."

"Come here" she said moving over in her bed. I took one last look to make sure the baby was asleep and got in the bed with Dua. "I know the pregnancy was rocky Y/n. Thank you for staying with me" she said moving to lay in my arms.

"I love you. You'll never know how much I value you and the fact that you carried our baby."

———————————
After the baby got out the hospital I was more on edge than ever.

I had to protect our son and Dua. I couldn't sleep at night. I was awake 24/7. How could I sleep when I had to make sure they're okay?

I couldn't keep my eyes off of the baby even when he was just laying there.

It got worse when Dua went back to work. I don't know why my nerves are so worked up.

I just put the baby down when I heard Dua unlock the door.

"Y/n" she called softly. I quickly went to where she was.

"How was your day? Were you fine with the baby?" "We were fine." "Is the baby asleep?" "Mhm."

"Can we talk then? I feel like this is the only time we'll be able to." "What's going on?" "I just feel like you've been off recently. I want to know what's wrong. What's running through your mind?" "I love you and I love our son. But ever since you've been pregnant I have just been more on edge and jumpy. I feel like I can't take my eyes off of him for even a minute. I feel like a failure if he starts crying or won't lay down. And I hate that you went back to work so early. I feel like I can't protect either of you. I don't know what it is."

"I totally get that. What if I take off for the next two weeks? Then when I go back I can start with half days until you calm down. I'm sure you're just a little uptight because of how small he is and you don't want to hurt him. I definitely shouldn't have went back to work so soon." "I think that will make me feel better. I'm sorry. I don't want to be annoying or anything. If you can't afford to miss any work days then don't. I'll be fine."

"No I honestly didn't even want to go back to work this early. It's hard because I don't want to miss any moments with the baby but I have to work. But the way you're feeling isn't crazy. To be honest every time I go into work I can't even get that much done because I'm thinking about you and the baby. I'll just work from home for a while." "Okay."

"You look exhausted why don't you go take a bath and I'll bring you some food once you get out." "Come with me" she said pulling at my arm. "What if the baby starts crying?" "He'll be fine. You don't need to pick him up every time he cries. Sometimes you just have to let him tire himself out." "I know I just get worried." "Come on. We don't have to take long. I just missed you."

I caved in following her.

I feel like I'll forever be on edge about protecting them but I'm glad we have our own family. I love them more than imaginable.