CHAPTER 27

After 3 hours, Raegan and I fold our towels and pack up our things before making our way towards the beach exit. 

"Hold up, Raegan. Let me put my flip flops on," I say before we step onto the hot cement. She waits for me as I maneuver my foot into the sandal. "Okay, let's go."

"Hey, LilMillzzz, wait up," I hear Lucas call from behind. I let Raegan turn around for me as I keep my gaze straight ahead.

She whips her body back around once she gets a good look at him and pulls down on my hand. "Oh my God, Lucas is staring at you. And he's not wearing a shirt."

"Raegan..."

"Slow down, Lily. Let him catch up to you," she whispers to me, tugging down on my hand.

I give in to Raegan with a huff and then stop in place, turning around to look at Lucas.

"Need a ride home?" he asks when he stops right in front of us. His shirt is folded over his arm and his brown hair is perfectly tousled; like the beach did it a favor. 

"I'm good. Raegan's going to give me a lift."

"Actually...," Raegan says, "I have to stop at my grandma's, and your house is in the opposite direction." I give her dagger eyes because I know that she's lying. Raegan's grandparents live in Florida. "So, yeah, Lucas, if you don't mind, that would be great."

"Of course," he smiles, then looks at me. "I parked in Lot A."

"Okay. I'll meet you there," I hesitatingly say and he gives me a quick nod before walking away.

"What are you doing?" I ask Raegan.

"Nothing. I'm innocent in all this," she jokes, but I'm not laughing.

"Raegan, this isn't funny."

"What's the problem, Lily?"

"Uh, one word," I shake my head. "Teddy."

"What about him? It's just a ride home."

I roll my eyes at her and then say, "It's never just anything with Lucas Bennett."

Lucas is still shirtless when I get to his Bugatti, but he zips on a gray hoodie before he gets into the driver's seat.

"Covering up this time, I see?" I say before opening the door. I slide in and slam the door shut, and Lucas does the same.

"I already graced you with my hot body once. You want to see it again, you gotta ask this time."

I press on my lips and frown.

"You okay?" he asks when he notices my changed expression. 

"Fine," I repeatedly nod. "I think I just threw up in my mouth, that's all." It's a lie, but he could use a little hit to the ego. 

He tilts his head and pouts, then bats the top of my head. "Always the dramatic little one, aren't you?"

"Don't touch me," I growl, moving my head away.

"Testy," he mocks. "Girls usually tell me the opposite."

"You're disgusting," I say. I glance around the parking lot and find his friends' cars parked in the spots surrounding us. "You know? People can see us together. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea."

"You trying to get rid of me, LilMillzzz?"

"Not at all. I'm looking out for your reputation. Wouldn't want you to ruin it."

"Trust me, that won't happen. If anything, it'll just boost yours."

"My reputation is fine where it is, but I appreciate your concern."